Need help connecting media player to laptop

akescpt

Honorary Master
hi guys, i want to connect my media player to a home network eventually but im attempting to connect it directly to my win 7 laptop for now. the media player is the mercer HD one and capable of network and upnp. the network is setup to autodetect my settings but when i go into the setup it says 'DHCP not ready'. ive tried manually putting in my ip address but no luck.

i was hoping somebody has already come across this and can advise me how to solve this problem. i need to get this working since i need to convince the government to buy some powerline adapters to create the home network. needless to say the government was not impressed last night when it didnt work. please help me convince the government! :D

edit:

i downloaded ps3 media server to check if i can reach the media player via the upnp option but if they cant see each other this might be futile...i was going to do this tonight..

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Expert Member
If you are connecting directly from the Media Player to your laptop, without going through a network switch first, you probably require a cross-over UTP cable.

akescpt

Honorary Master
So if I get a switch it will solve problem? Sweet. Will incredible corruption have these cross-over cables?

mh348

Expert Member
If you are connecting directly from the Media Player to your laptop, without going through a network switch first, you probably require a cross-over UTP cable.
If you laptop is not that old it should work with a "normal" network cable..

mh348

Expert Member
hi guys, i want to connect my media player to a home network eventually but im attempting to connect it directly to my win 7 laptop for now. the media player is the mercer HD one and capable of network and upnp. the network is setup to autodetect my settings but when i go into the setup it says 'DHCP not ready'. ive tried manually putting in my ip address but no luck.

i was hoping somebody has already come across this and can advise me how to solve this problem. i need to get this working since i need to convince the government to buy some powerline adapters to create the home network. needless to say the government was not impressed last night when it didnt work. please help me convince the government! :D

edit:

i downloaded ps3 media server to check if i can reach the media player via the upnp option but if they cant see each other this might be futile...i was going to do this tonight..
Where both the IP addresses in the same rage (PC & Media Player)

Eg. 192.168.0.1 on the PC and 192.168.0.2 on the Media Player?

akescpt

Honorary Master
Where both the IP addresses in the same rage (PC & Media Player)

Eg. 192.168.0.1 on the PC and 192.168.0.2 on the Media Player?
will check tonight. although i dont know how to check the media player's IP tbh. will have to google or check the documentation. will update!

mh348

Expert Member
will check tonight. although i dont know how to check the media player's IP tbh. will have to google or check the documentation. will update!
Just go into the settings menu and look for Network or LAN

Zarathustra

Expert Member
Yes, Incredible Corruption should be able to sell you a cross-over network cable. A network switch will cost a couple of hundred Zuma Bucks while cable should be under R50.00.

As @mh348 has mentioned, you should probably make sure that the Media Player's DHCP server is running & that your laptop is set to be assigned IP Addresses automatically.

So, go back to the beginning, check everything step by step & when all else fails read the manual ;)

xplicet

if you are connecting directly to your laptop then there is no router or server issuing IP's which is what the DHCP setting is waiting for. You have to set IP's manually on both and make sure they are in the same range.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Yep I found a step by step guide. Going to follow that and update. Dankie ouens!