Need help with extending wi-fi coverage across a 3-story house

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Only the main router manages the DHCP. There's only one firewall. There is no overlap in strong signal quality between routers. What benefit would there be if I went with a Unifi setup? Speed tests indicate all 4Mbps of my DSL connection is accessible on any connected device and HD content can be played across the network without issue.
Well for one the moment your handover is manager from the network side your connectivity will always be at the highest throughput available.

While if its managed from the device side it will hold onto the most recent signal for as long as possible, even if it means dropping the speed to accommodate this, which means you aren't getting the optimal use out of your network.

You already have a setup that works for you, so no need to change it. But it's certainly not the best practise to recommend for someone who doesn't have anything in place yet.

I'd rather have a 2.4 ghz network running at 144 mbits all of the time, than a 5ghz one running 11 mbits most of the time.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Well for one the moment your handover is manager from the network side your connectivity will always be at the highest throughput available.

While if its managed from the device side it will hold onto the most recent signal for as long as possible, even if it means dropping the speed to accommodate this, which means you aren't getting the optimal use out of your network.

You already have a setup that works for you, so no need to change it. But it's certainly not the best practise to recommend for someone who doesn't have anything in place yet.

I'd rather have a 2.4 ghz network running at 144 mbits all of the time, than a 5ghz one running 11 mbits most of the time.
But all of the devices that actually need fast internet and network access don't move around, ie. desktop PC's and TV's. They are permanently connected to the strongest signal available. And it takes virtually no effort to choose the strongest connection if you notice a low signal on your mobile device.

I'm not disputing that my network isn't the best option, but I do think it's a very easy and functional solution for anyone not looking to spend a fortune.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
But the cost of your option is the same as a 2.4ghz UniFi option.

Which is why I pointed out that a bulletproof 2.4ghz system is inevitably better than a questionable 5ghz one for the same money.

Also you have to consider that the OP's needs might be very different to your own. He might want 100% speed all the time on all devices.

What is very little effort to you isn't very little effort to everyone. Also a high signal from your point of view could still be a less than ideal speed.

Plan it properly before implementation and NO effort is required later on.

Apart from manually switching between SSID's, if you want to make a change on your network you need to do it in three places, it's unnecessary complexity.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
But the cost of your option is the same as a 2.4ghz UniFi option.

Which is why I pointed out that a bulletproof 2.4ghz system is inevitably better than a questionable 5ghz one for the same money.

Also you have to consider that the OP's needs might be very different to your own. He might want 100% speed all the time on all devices.

What is very little effort to you isn't very little effort to everyone. Also a high signal from your point of view could still be a less than ideal speed.

Plan it properly before implementation and NO effort is required later on.

Apart from manually switching between SSID's, if you want to make a change on your network you need to do it in three places, it's unnecessary complexity.
Who sells the cheap Unifi devices? I haven't found anyone local online.

DominionZA

Executive Member
2 days ago I moved my Asus N66U to upstairs, bumped the wifi from 80mW to 200mW and switched off my other 2. The Asus is providing full coverage across my property now. Very impressed.

In my furtherest room which is my home office outside, I am getting 3 (out of 4) bars with the occasional drop to 2 bars. Connection is solid though.

Last edited:

bdt

Executive Member
Actually the least-exorbitant UniFi is here; the W301a I mentioned earlier is here. Or, for the same money, likely moar range can be had from the W300a.

Bear in mind that the Tenda boxen simple-minded little things; they can do only one BSSID, so access to your WLAN is an all-or-nothing proposition. But the UniFi can apparently do four SSIDs (I've never had to go beyond two), which opens the door to having, say, the family WLAN with your oh-so-carefully crafted (preciousssss) network key, and then a guest one that you can hand out to visitors/transients with relative impunity ...choose wisely. :cool:

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
back to your original question. I would go with the AP devices and use the same SSID to seamlessly connect across the house.
You can do it with routers but you need to be careful with the DHCP.

Regards

Tim