Need help with Reverting Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT i9500) back to Stock

blyzz

Hi there everyone,

I recently rooted my S4 and managed to get Android 4.3 loaded onto it. However, nothing (almost nothing) seems to work. The contacts keeps crashing, calendar keeps crashing, in fact, all the Google services keep crashing, and when it crashes, it takes a minute or 2 before I can click on the "OK" button.

So now I need to revert back to Android 4.2.2, and having trouble finding a reliable way to do so. (I'm busy downloading what I think is 4.2.2 from samfirmware.com (I9500XXUBMH1_I9500XXUBMH2_XFA.zip).

Has anyone done this before? If so, could you help me out?

Blyzz

P.S. I'm with CellC

Tman*

Expert Member
plug your phone into your pc via usb. open odin and flash the stock rom you are busy downloading.

your phone will be stock and unrooted afterwards .

blyzz

Mike Smit: Already tried that - it wiped all my data and returned to the stock 4.3 (D'OH!)

Tman: There are different versions of Odin, is there any specific one that i should use? I Have Odin 3 v1.85

DominionZA

Executive Member
Mike Smit: Already tried that - it wiped all my data and returned to the stock 4.3 (D'OH!)

Tman: There are different versions of Odin, is there any specific one that i should use? I Have Odin 3 v1.85
Ye - wiping is pretty much the risk when flashing.

I downloaded the Vodacom (On CellC) stock 4.2.2 day before yesterday. Didn't wipe when I flashed though.

Make sure you don't tick or click anything in Odin except PDA. Just click the PDA button, select ROM file and flash.

blyzz

Managed to get it back to official... had a few hiccups, so might need to take it in to be "fixed". But nothing serious yet.

Budza

Executive Member
Which version of GApps did you use the first time?

blyzz

All the Google apps updated themselves after the upgrade to 4.3, including Google Services.

My phone is now back to 4.2.2, and behaving itself! - also the Download mode indicates that it's "Official".

blyzz

A quick recommendation to ANYONE that wants to flash their phones when they already have their phone set up the way they want:

1: Screenshot all your desktops (which I did)
2: Screenshot all the pages in your apps drawer (which I did)
3: Backup and restore SMS and Call Log (which I did) http://goo.gl/3zojjR + http://goo.gl/IfrKJs
4: Save your APN details (which I didn't do) http://goo.gl/beOqvN
5: Save all notes in Catch if you use it (which I didn't do)
6: Backup all your apps (which I didn't do) http://goo.gl/91Y21H

Bigmozzarella

Hey - wondering - did you ever succeed.
I'm in the same boat right now.
And I just cannot find that ROM you're referring to.
There are a few links on the web - but they're ALL dead.
Also on Cell C

Bigmozzarella

Hi there everyone,

I recently rooted my S4 and managed to get Android 4.3 loaded onto it. However, nothing (almost nothing) seems to work. The contacts keeps crashing, calendar keeps crashing, in fact, all the Google services keep crashing, and when it crashes, it takes a minute or 2 before I can click on the "OK" button.

So now I need to revert back to Android 4.2.2, and having trouble finding a reliable way to do so. (I'm busy downloading what I think is 4.2.2 from samfirmware.com (I9500XXUBMH1_I9500XXUBMH2_XFA.zip).

Has anyone done this before? If so, could you help me out?

Blyzz

P.S. I'm with CellC
Also on Cell C

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Did you follow the instructions step-by-step or did you get all excited after flashing 4.3 successfully and forgot to flash 4.3 GAPPS before the initial boot :p

Whose 4.3 did you flash?

blyzz

Also on Cell C
I did (kinda) manage to get back to stock
I used a file called "i9500-xwubmg1-aosportv2-b11.zip" I seem to recall downloading it off of a samsung repository somewhere.

I don't think this was was the instructions i followed - but it looks similar:
http://ohguideme.com/update-galaxy-s4-i9500-to-android-4-3-jelly-bean/

I must point out now that I CANNOT sync calendar. the option just is not there. I've tried a bunch of things, and just can't get calendar back. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for the SGS6 before I get it back.

blyzz

Did you follow the instructions step-by-step or did you get all excited after flashing 4.3 successfully and forgot to flash 4.3 GAPPS before the initial boot :p

Whose 4.3 did you flash?
The former, looked for the app installs, didn't know how to do that - but my phone has now been upgraded to 4.3 with an OTA.