Need insurance valuation for my MBP – where/how?

Cassady

Expert Member
Dear all – would welcome suggestions.

Bought a mid-2015 15" MBP second hand some time back.
It has a 1TB Apple SSD inside, which was swapped over from a BTO 13" MBP of the same generation.

Recently switched insurance, and need a valuation of the laptop – partially for replacement value, but mainly as a Proof of Ownership, in the event that it gets stolen.

Any suggestions about where to do this?
Would the iStore/Digicape assist?
Or must I try my luck at a local hardware store, or some place like iFixIt?

Cassady

Expert Member
I would suggest you find a different insurance company. It is highly unusual to require valuations on electronic products.
How so? If the laptop is stolen, how would one determine the replacement value?

That said – as mentioned, this is primarily to prove ownership. Since I don't have a receipt from a store where it was purchased, I need to be able to prove that I actually had the device being covered?

Freddl

Proper insurance companies replace stolen electronic items based on the specifications of the original one. They usually replace and do not pay out the value. The replacement policy ensures that the customer is placed in the same position he/she was before the incident. Companies who prefer to pay out the 'value' usually try to reduce the payout by claiming the item was old and/or the same item is no longer available.

Reputable insurance companies accept the serial number or a photo of the item as proof of ownership

Cassady

Expert Member
Proper insurance companies replace stolen electronic items based on the specifications of the original one. They usually replace and do not pay out the value. The replacement policy ensures that the customer is placed in the same position he/she was before the incident. Companies who prefer to pay out the 'value' usually try to reduce the payout by claiming the item was old and/or the same item is no longer available.

Reputable insurance companies accept the serial number or a photo of the item as proof of ownership
True – but in this case, it is me that is being cautious, rather than the insurance company requiring X/Y/Z.

Curious as to what would you think a reputable insurance company should then offer in this case?

A mid-2015 MBP with a BTO-installed 1TB SSD?
Should the latter be disregarded, and the a current equivalent simply be offered?
A serial number is not going to confirm the current SSD as installed, but rather the 256GB version it left the factory with.

As they no longer make 15" MBPs, should it then be replaced by a 16" version?
The 512GB SSD comes in at R52,199.00 – whilst the 1TB comes in at R60,999?

Sincere questions, by the way, since I'm not at all familiar with how the above processes would/should work ordinarily...

Freddl

As long as you clearly state the specifications when you insure it, reputable companies will replace it with its closest equivalent as long as it is the same or better than the original. Most people find that they actually get an upgrade in the process - especially if the item in question is a few years old.

enzokahn

Change to or naked insurance. Almost instant cover with straight forward quote and cover

Jase

Executive Member
I purchased a 2015 MBP in 2015 and insured it for it's purchase value (R23k at the time). A year later it was 'liquid' damaged and I claimed from my insurance. They paid me out the R23k (I sent it to WeFix for a valuation).

enzokahn

I purchased a 2015 MBP in 2015 and insured it for it's purchase value (R23k at the time). A year later it was 'liquid' damaged and I claimed from my insurance. They paid me out the R23k (I sent it to WeFix for a valuation).
Miss those days when the big MacBook Pros were R23grand ..

Jase

Executive Member
Yeah, R52k (starting) for the 16 inch now days and R29k for the base 13. Looking back, I should have just replaced my MBP with another MBP and not a windows machine.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Just wanted a basic newish MacBook air for dev testing, can only find 13" in SA, but that's already R22k. It's insane for such a crap laptop, would rather pick up an Xps if I didn't need to test Safari.