Need to buy a car for a get around

Bresder

Considering a entry level car not expensive and probably low to maintain. Take in consideration a person. Second Hand, more like the price of a VW Golf Citi. Was/still considering one.

Any suggestions or advise?

RedViking

Nord of the South
budget around R30 - R40k
That is tiny budget unless you score a good deal. Car's in that bracket usually are high maintenance (due to age) and rust. Really take your time and don't rush it.

I was very fortunate with my car and also sold my Golf Chico for around R18 000. (It had rust and lots of other issues). Maybe go check my thread when I was buying. My budget was also 40K + the money from my golf (so around 60K). However the deal I got was a needle in a haystack and I almost gave up or had to take out a loan.

Other forumites might be able to give better advice on what and where to look for. I would say a dealership is out in that price bracket (my experience was horrible, they are like snakes). Ask for friends or a local trusted mechanic (got my car through my mechanic). Check also on gumtree and local adverts. Very important to take someone experienced with when looking at the car and make sure to test drive it properly. The car I bought I took out on the main road, on my way back I stopped at a friend with a well known Tyre shop, he lifted the car and checked everything.

Also be aware of fees to get it registered and on the road. You might have to get stuff fixed before it is excepted. Again I was fortunate as the mechanic gave it a major service (including timing belt) and did all the road worthy costs etc.

Bresder

That is tiny budget unless you score a good deal. Car's in that bracket usually are high maintenance (due to age) and rust. Really take your time and don't rush it.

I was very fortunate with my car and also sold my Golf Chico for around R18 000. (It had rust and lots of other issues). Maybe go check my thread when I was buying. My budget was also 40K + the money from my golf (so around 60K). However the deal I got was a needle in a haystack and I almost gave up or had to take out a loan.

Other forumites might be able to give better advice on what and where to look for. I would say a dealership is out in that price bracket (my experience was horrible, they are like snakes). Ask for friends or a local trusted mechanic (got my car through my mechanic). Check also on gumtree and local adverts. Very important to take someone experienced with when looking at the car and make sure to test drive it properly. The car I bought I took out on the main road, on my way back I stopped at a friend with a well known Tyre shop, he lifted the car and checked everything.

Also be aware of fees to get it registered and on the road. You might have to get stuff fixed before it is excepted. Again I was fortunate as the mechanic gave it a major service (including timing belt) and did all the road worthy costs etc.

I read the read and based on what I read, looks like you went through a couple hurdles to get the car. But lucky for you that you able to get it from a mechanic. I don't know any mechanics, this is one of the main challenges that I'm gonna face when going around looking for the car. How would you suggest I find one? I just don't want to find somebody who'll advise me to get something that will be expensive to maintain because all I need is a car to get around the city and run my errands.

As for getting a car like a Golf right now sorts of give me that doubt that it might be risky as I know that these brands are heavily in demand around the city by crooks. But I'm not scared! I checked gumtree and some are there within the price range, although they look sketchy and others look they might be a problem after some months.

I know dealerships are out of the bracket for that price range! Last time I went to the dealer before I decided not get a car for other reasons, with the dealer, I ended up with a price quotation of R90k+ - this included warranty for approximately R7k+, Smash and grab, road worthy fees and registration. I ended up not getting the car because it felt like I was being ripped somewhere there. The car was a Ford Figo 2015 model. But this was last year early April.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I read the read and based on what I read, looks like you went through a couple hurdles to get the car. But lucky for you that you able to get it from a mechanic. I don't know any mechanics, this is one of the main challenges that I'm gonna face when going around looking for the car. How would you suggest I find one? I just don't want to find somebody who'll advise me to get something that will be expensive to maintain because all I need is a car to get around the city and run my errands.

As for getting a car like a Golf right now sorts of give me that doubt that it might be risky as I know that these brands are heavily in demand around the city by crooks. But I'm not scared! I checked gumtree and some are there within the price range, although they look sketchy and others look they might be a problem after some months.

I know dealerships are out of the bracket for that price range! Last time I went to the dealer before I decided not get a car for other reasons, with the dealer, I ended up with a price quotation of R90k+ - this included warranty for approximately R7k+, Smash and grab, road worthy fees and registration. I ended up not getting the car because it felt like I was being ripped somewhere there. The car was a Ford Figo 2015 model. But this was last year early April.

Maybe bump the thread during the week to get some input from other forumites, they drink and sleep on weekends. :p @thechamp ;)

I don't think it is impossible but it will be a private buy. I have seen a couple of Hyundai Getz, Renault Megane, Kia Picanto, Golf etc. that is in decent condition going for 40-50K. All of them through friends though. You can't expect a brand new car of course but you should be able to find something decent. I was a bit picky as I didn't want anything smaller than a 1.6 and if have to a 1.4. So when I got the 1.6 Hyundai I was very happy. I am still extremely happy.

20171028_115724-01.jpg

OP I think you will find the car. Keep on looking, ask around, check local classifieds. When you see the vehicle you want you will know. Obviously check for practical things that can be issue, check this post. Also realise it is a second hand car and not brand new.

Oh. regarding golf. They tried to steal mine at least twice excluding break ins. Had an alarm inside so I heard it every time. Other than that no issues. Always parked it behind a closed gate or garage. In town park right in front of a shop entrance or secure parking. Always be aware of where you park it and the risks around and it will be fine. I have a couple of friends with Citi Golfs.

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Don't buy a Citi Golf, you are going to be left feeling very short changed even for that money. Rather buy yourself a mint condition old car like Toyota Corolla( Kentucky rounder shape) a Nissan Sentra, Honda Ballade, Almera, first gen Hyundai Accent or Elantra, etc, believe me you will get so much value for you money.

A couple of years ago I got myself some mint condition 1995 Nissan Sentra with full service history that was just traded in at my local Nissan for R39k, the car was well maintained with no oil leak in sight, hydraulic power steering was softer than any other carvi have driven before with a hydraulic setup, the car even had a fully functioning air con.

A Citi Golf as legendary as it is is not the car you want, it will take you from A to B in an extremely uncomfortable style, not to mention that you will never know you will find where you left it.