Need to convert VHS tapes to digital format

jax_maxit

Good day all.

I searched the topic and came across threads that did not answer my query (the person in the top result already had the machine to do the conversion). I need to buy the actual hardware to convert the tapes to digital format. I have around 100 tapes that I want to convert to digital and save on external HDD and share some via YouTube uploads to friends and family. I considered using companies for this but it will cost too much. I think it will be cheaper to buy whatever hardware is needed and do it myself.

All I have is a desktop with a DVD burner. Where can I buy a VHS to DVD converter machine? Or is there some other hardware more suited to my task?

krieg

Expert Member
Good day all.

I searched the topic and came across threads that did not answer my query (the person in the top result already had the machine to do the conversion). I need to buy the actual hardware to convert the tapes to digital format. I have around 100 tapes that I want to convert to digital and save on external HDD and share some via YouTube uploads to friends and family. I considered using companies for this but it will cost too much. I think it will be cheaper to buy whatever hardware is needed and do it myself.

All I have is a desktop with a DVD burner. Where can I buy a VHS to DVD converter machine? Or is there some other hardware more suited to my task?

You can use a pc video card with RCA input or one of those USB dongles for capturing video. Then you simply connect a VCR to the PC play the video and record the output on your PC via video capture software.

grok

Honorary Master
I still have one in a cupboard, that plays both VHS & DVD. Hold on.. its a LG V782W I retired due to not playing DVDs anymore.

This one, I think it records to VHS will have to figure out if it can the other way round. Don't recall it being a writable DVD tho.

genetic

Honorary Master
There is no VHS to digital converter machine. You need to convert analogue video to digital video - it's a process, not a machine. Plenty of people on Gumtree or Facebook offer those services for next to nothing.

RA-ID-FAK

There is no VHS to digital converter machine.
I converted my 10 or so 8mm tapes with my DVD recorder device LG RH278 (analogue in)....still have to write them to DVD sometime, and then rip
For now I just use it to tease my grown up son with his learning to rid his bicycle...forwards meant reverse back then :ROFL:

LG RH278.png

Hooray for LG!

I also have this (bought at Hillfox years ago)...but had limited success with the bundled software now

ION - Copy.png

I still have a few VHS tapes that I have to convert...just need a good quality VHS player

RA-ID-FAK

This might work. Might need some sort of capture software on PC.
Not bad for the price....I see it comes with software

Package Contents

• 4CH USB Recorder
  • Software CD
  • USB male to USB Female extension cable