Need to pick an ISP. Help!

Charl10

So I'm new to your community, but I've noticed that most people on here are super critical, so I thought it would be a nice platform to get some valuable input on which ISPs to trust/avoid.

Moving out of the house means no more free internet :crying: and I now have to shop around for something affordable which will suit my needs.

What I'll be using it for:
- Gaming (so needs to be reliable speeds)
- Streaming* (again, reliable)
- Occasional downloading (mostly game updates and the odd movie)

I'm looking at capped packages, because I'm quite sure I won't be using enough data to justify uncapped prices.
*Will only be streaming sport on weekends

Any advice on which line speed I'll need, which ISPs are best and recommended data packages would be greatly appreciated!

EsEs

this is my advise:

1) never Openweb
2) make sure you don't go with Openweb

4mb should be ok for your needs, but it really depends on your budget.

Capped is a good option, no shaping, unless you use openweb. (see rule 1 and 2)

I've tried a few ISP`s before and iam with Vox at the moment and have no problems at all and very happy(I am on a Fat Pipe 150gb account + 20mb adsl2+). the nice thing with them is the data roll overs that add up, and you get uncapped unshapped 12am to 6am

but to get the best isp is really a trail and error

ps; don't use openweb.

Last edited:

Baxteen

Honorary Master
agreed. stay away from openweb.
stay away from mweb, when it works eveerything is fine, but the moment it stops working you are on your own with them.
Web africa have a 2 month cancelation period and the moment you cancel they ignore all your calls and tickets, so I would say stay away from them as well.

apparently the new Afrihost backbone is good and they are getting better at being a good ISP again, but once bitten twice shy.
crystal web and Vox are the two you see the fewest complaints about.

as for what you need, I have a 2mb line and a Vox fatpipe 75gb, and i am super happy, I stream at night while playing hearthstone, stream cricket when its on, and I have had no reason to complain at all.

BitcoinZAR

I find Afrihost to be a touch more expensive, but have had no hectic problems. I hear Axxess is really good value, but I am not sure how reliable they are.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I rate a 4meg line.

Axxess capped 100gigs which includes uncapped from 12pm - 6am for R189 is prob the best value for money product out right now.
There network is impressive and you always get 90-100% of what your line is capable of.

-I'm on the 300gig account and pull 600gigs a month on average (300 gigs during uncapped), no one has ever complained and can always download at 900kb/s+ on a 10 meg line (even torrents).
-On gaming don't really check pings cos the games work fine so don't have a problem.
-Streaming don't have DSTV so stream everything. My GF watches HD Netflix and I watch HD Youtube at the same time without any issues.

Axxess also won ISP of the quarter so prob a good choice.

I rate Afrihost, Axxess, CW and Vox are all within 5-10% of each other but really happy I chose Axxess.

Charl10

as for what you need, I have a 2mb line and a Vox fatpipe 75gb, and i am super happy, I stream at night while playing hearthstone, stream cricket when its on, and I have had no reason to complain at all.

That's interesting, most people say that you need at least 4 Mbps to be able to stream okay quality. You say you're able to stream comfortably at 2 Mbps?

It would save me a lot to get 2 Mbps, but I am currently leaning towards biting the bullet for 4 Mb because I can't live without sport. But then I suppose one could try the 2mb and then upgrade if it's not sufficient...

Charl10

Thanks for all the replies!

Having read up, it looks like Vox is one of the favourites across the board. Haven't really read anything bad about them.

With regards to data and line speed. If I want to stream let's say 25 hrs a month, I guess I'd need at least a 50gb package? And is 4 Mbps the minimum requirement for good streaming?

Baxteen

Honorary Master
That's interesting, most people say that you need at least 4 Mbps to be able to stream okay quality. You say you're able to stream comfortably at 2 Mbps?

It would save me a lot to get 2 Mbps, but I am currently leaning towards biting the bullet for 4 Mb because I can't live without sport. But then I suppose one could try the 2mb and then upgrade if it's not sufficient...

I have 2Mbs becasue its the only option.
if I could have 4Mbs I would upgrade. biting the bullet from the beginning you will not regret.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Thanks for all the replies!

Having read up, it looks like Vox is one of the favourites across the board. Haven't really read anything bad about them.

With regards to data and line speed. If I want to stream let's say 25 hrs a month, I guess I'd need at least a 50gb package? And is 4 Mbps the minimum requirement for good streaming?

VOX is fantastic.... unless you in the Cape (which you are). High latency effects a number of users in the Cape (apparently)...

Streaming in HD would use around 1.5gb per hour, so 37.5gb for 25 hours. SD around 400mb an hour so around 10gb for 25 hours...

4mb for HD streaming, yes, definitely. Anything less and SD streaming..

GrammatonCleric

I'd advise you to stay away from Vox.

My experience with them has been awful at best! I know the data-rollover thing is very attractive but the online gaming latencies extremely bad! 1500ms+ to EU West servers!!!

When compared to Afrihost...217ms to the same server, same hour

GrammatonCleric

I'd advise you to stay away from Vox.

My experience with them has been awful at best! I know the data-rollover thing is very attractive but the online gaming latencies extremely bad! 1500ms+ to EU West servers!!!

When compared to Afrihost...217ms to the same server, same hour.

PS: I don't live in CT. I reside in JHB

GrammatonCleric

I'm using Vox and I have no problems with them.

It was a painful process even registering with them. The guy who helped me didn't activate my account when I required it and activated it a month later without my permission...after I cancelled the order, so I got billed for 2 ISP's in one month.

Then the latency issues...

Huh-uh...not interested in headaches like that

Charl10

For what it's worth I went with Vox.
Only once had connectivity issues throughout my 15 months with them, and then it was resolved within a couple of days.

Good pings for gaming, decent downloading.

Price-wise they're not the cheapest, but overall I would recommend.

Charl10

Thereafter I moved again and now have Lightspeed from Cybersmart, and I've never looked back. Amazing download speeds for very decent prices

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thereafter I moved again and now have Lightspeed from Cybersmart, and I've never looked back. Amazing download speeds for very decent prices
Due to the fact that they only roll out in apartment buildings/extremely high density. :p