Neighbour intentionally destroying pavement

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Repeatedly drive over it until the plants and sprinkler system as completely destroyed. And because he's a dick. Oh and he's trying to intimidate me, hence the charge on Monday.
You're missing the question. Why does he want to do that? For no reason at all?

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
You're missing the question. Why does he want to do that? For no reason at all?
If you've read the thread you'd know it's because the directors are taking him to task for non payment of levies. Additionally speed humps have been erected due to his reckless driving. These trying to intimidate the residents.

eg2505

Honorary Master
every complex has its resident d00s,
mine runs around in high heels and plays music at 2AM.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Take a bottle and break it so there are sharp edges. Put it in the flower bed on a brick or plank so it doesn't sink.
Put a small sign up for people walking their dogs.
Sit and watch him fix his tires

thestaggy

Honorary Master
What does break fluid do?
Ruins the paint. Even after 5 minutes it can stain the paint. The longer it is on the more damage it does, going as far as flaking if its left on long enough.

One of the first things my dad taught me when replacing my brakes was to make sure I never spilled brake fluid on the car.

Cius

Executive Member
Sounds awful. Good luck. It is truly pathetic how toothless the law is against people like this. Knee jerk is to do something illegal vs him but be careful, that gives him a lot of power over you in some ways. I know people who have won via the illegal route (hire an untraceable bouncer to intimidate him out of the complex) and I know people who managed to legally sort them out but it requires a fair bit of risk being taken on by the HOA. Good luck either way.

Is this a complex with boomed access and electricity billed by the complex out of curiosity?

Corelli

Expert Member
Just get these big stones and put them there. Make sure to clear around them so that they are very visible. We had the same issue with the neighbor driving over my front lawn to park his car. Litterally over the pavement onto my lawn, then reverse his car in. Since we tossed those huge heavy stones between up and them he doesn't. Although he is very cheesed off about them. I said sorry my property my stones. Move them or take them away and it's either destruction of property or theft. I have a nice CCTV camera (8mp), eyeing well my rocks. My little babies hahahahaha

Corelli

Expert Member
Option B start a whatsapp group and make sure everyone other than him is on it. Soon you have a lot of neighbours complaining, then draw it up as a petition and give it to the HOA.

After 2 years of struggle our one irritating neighbor was effectively forced to sell their house. A nice friendly couple bought it.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Dunno if it was covered, I can't find it, but why?

There's much missing to this story.
Few posts up (and elsewhere):

If you've read the thread you'd know it's because the directors are taking him to task for non payment of levies. Additionally speed humps have been erected due to his reckless driving. These trying to intimidate the residents.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
The correct way to approach this is for the HOA to issue fines. In our HOA we implemented escalating fines for residents who think they can get away with anything inside the complex and simply pay a small fine. For example - 1st offence = R500, 2nd offence = R1000, 3rd offence = R1500 and this is in a rolling 12 month window. In order to lodge a complaint, you need a witness (preferably a member of our security) or have footage from a security camera. This stops anyone contesting the fines.

Fines are added to the levy statements and non-payers go to the lawyers if they fail to communicate with the HOA or agree with payment plans.

For now we seem to be keeping the "bad apples" under control and the extra bit of cashflow for the HOA has allowed us the extra budget to plant roses and other nice stuff.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Sounds awful. Good luck. It is truly pathetic how toothless the law is against people like this. Knee jerk is to do something illegal vs him but be careful, that gives him a lot of power over you in some ways. I know people who have won via the illegal route (hire an untraceable bouncer to intimidate him out of the complex) and I know people who managed to legally sort them out but it requires a fair bit of risk being taken on by the HOA. Good luck either way.

Is this a complex with boomed access and electricity billed by the complex out of curiosity?
It is accessed controlled, but electricity is not.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
The correct way to approach this is for the HOA to issue fines. In our HOA we implemented escalating fines for residents who think they can get away with anything inside the complex and simply pay a small fine. For example - 1st offence = R500, 2nd offence = R1000, 3rd offence = R1500 and this is in a rolling 12 month window. In order to lodge a complaint, you need a witness (preferably a member of our security) or have footage from a security camera. This stops anyone contesting the fines.

Fines are added to the levy statements and non-payers go to the lawyers if they fail to communicate with the HOA or agree with payment plans.

For now we seem to be keeping the "bad apples" under control and the extra bit of cashflow for the HOA has allowed us the extra budget to plant roses and other nice stuff.
This would require a change to the rules, however. Perhaps we can bring it up at the AGM in a few months.