Neighbour intentionally destroying pavement

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Option B start a whatsapp group and make sure everyone other than him is on it. Soon you have a lot of neighbours complaining, then draw it up as a petition and give it to the HOA.

After 2 years of struggle our one irritating neighbor was effectively forced to sell their house. A nice friendly couple bought it.
Oh it was brought up in detail at the AGM (well that was other transgressions before the pavement driving) and the unanimous consensus of the HOA is to throw the book at him.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Take a bottle and break it so there are sharp edges. Put it in the flower bed on a brick or plank so it doesn't sink.
Put a small sign up for people walking their dogs.
Sit and watch him fix his tires
Ruins the paint. Even after 5 minutes it can stain the paint. The longer it is on the more damage it does, going as far as flaking if its left on long enough.

One of the first things my dad taught me when replacing my brakes was to make sure I never spilled brake fluid on the car.
Again, can't afford for him to retaliate.

Cius

Executive Member
Pavements beyond your boundary wall do not belong to the house, they are municipal servitudes in a normal suburb. In a complex they are part of common property normally. In a suburb you are allowed to beautify your pavement but not build on it and the municipality can dig it up to do maintenance or install things any time they need to and they do not have to replace any plants etc destroyed. What you do on the pavement is at your risk. A lot of people think of a pavement as their own but it is not. It is government land normally and its purpose is to carry underground water, sewage, and power lines around suburbs. The only rights you have is that no one should block your access to your land (ie park in your driveway or obstruct it).

berrypi

Have the same issue... neighbour nudges my car (no damage - yet) and parks opposite my drive way and lets his dog piss on my wheels. Approached him about it and he flew into a fit of rage.
Im not someone to fight, but things are getting out of hand (the dog thing).

Like everyone else is telling you... dump building rubble on your pavement. If the HOA gives you grief, then let them sort out your "lovely" neighbour ... cause it goes both ways....

*dont post things here either incase things happen to him and this is used against you?

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Ruins the paint. Even after 5 minutes it can stain the paint. The longer it is on the more damage it does, going as far as flaking if its left on long enough.

One of the first things my dad taught me when replacing my brakes was to make sure I never spilled brake fluid on the car.
Worse one, Fish sauce, like that Thai Fish sauce used for cooking, poured into those little vents above the bonnet.
Once it dries that smell permeates every inch of the interior of the car, and is almost impossible to eradicate.

Freddl

My advice to the OP is to do what other body corporates and HOA's do with people who do not pay levies: Get judgement against him in a court and sell his property.

That way you get the money owed to the HOA and at the same time you get him out of your lives.

isie

Honorary Master
My advice to the OP is to do what other body corporates and HOA's do with people who do not pay levies: Get judgement against him in a court and sell his property.

That way you get the money owed to the HOA and at the same time you get him out of your lives.
after reading all this I think they are and this is the reason he is targeting @phaktza

itsme2

My advice: keep collecting evidence. DO NOT retaliate. Completely ignore this bully. It will help your sanity to know that he's already likely in a lot of pain, has lost his wife, is angry, confused and he's looking for confrontation to alleviate his suffering. Work through the HOA and do everything you can to uproot his last bit of stability, like report his home practice to the HOA and council/SARS. Don't retaliate. Show constraint and be the better man always. He will destroy himself.

itsme2

An additional thought is the guy is running a commercial business in a residential area. We could just deny entry to his employees on the basis that the HOA has the decision as to whether a business may be run in the estate.
This would be the route to strike through. Hit him hard through this

newby_investor

Expert Member
I'm curious as to why this behaviour (reprehensible though it is) would in any way influence the HPCSA to withdraw the guy's licence to practise medicine.

I mean it's obviously not at work and not as a representative of the medical profession.

Are there rules surrounding general conduct for doctors?

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Pavements beyond your boundary wall do not belong to the house, they are municipal servitudes in a normal suburb. In a complex they are part of common property normally. In a suburb you are allowed to beautify your pavement but not build on it and the municipality can dig it up to do maintenance or install things any time they need to and they do not have to replace any plants etc destroyed. What you do on the pavement is at your risk. A lot of people think of a pavement as their own but it is not. It is government land normally and its purpose is to carry underground water, sewage, and power lines around suburbs. The only rights you have is that no one should block your access to your land (ie park in your driveway or obstruct it).
Yes, its common property, ergo my charge. So yes, my pavement. Should these damages impact negatively on the perception of the estate I am responsible - so I'm the one that has to take action.

Any further questions?

Edit: I could quite rightly, and legally, absolutely destroy his pavement. However, that would not be view by the HOA in a good light.

Last edited:

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Have the same issue... neighbour nudges my car (no damage - yet) and parks opposite my drive way and lets his dog piss on my wheels. Approached him about it and he flew into a fit of rage.
Im not someone to fight, but things are getting out of hand (the dog thing).

Like everyone else is telling you... dump building rubble on your pavement. If the HOA gives you grief, then let them sort out your "lovely" neighbour ... cause it goes both ways....

*dont post things here either incase things happen to him and this is used against you?
The HOA is paying to secure the pavements. Question is whether we can pass on the costs.

We also don't want to do anything seen to devalue the estate.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
I'm curious as to why this behaviour (reprehensible though it is) would in any way influence the HPCSA to withdraw the guy's licence to practise medicine.

I mean it's obviously not at work and not as a representative of the medical profession.

Are there rules surrounding general conduct for doctors?
We're going for a judgement of harassment. That could be submitted to the HPCSA.

isie

Honorary Master
Yes, its common property, ergo my charge. So yes, my pavement. Should these damages impact negatively on the perception of the estate I am responsible - so I'm the one that has to take action.

Any further questions?

Edit: I could quite rightly, and legally, absolutely destroy his pavement. However, that would not be view by the HOA in a good light.
your Neighbour is basically destroying something he part owns as well. :unsure:

The HOA is paying to secure the pavements. Question is whether we can pass on the costs.

We also don't want to do anything seen to devalue the estate.
How big is the complex like how many units?
logically since you have proof that its willful destruction and not accidental, you can pass it on to him - not like he will pay clearly since he owes you guys so much already.

I just dont get whats up with him - not paying, then harassing neighbours - why hate your neighbours, why carry on like this - whats the expected Endgame?