Neighbours loud music

Eyenstyn

I approached the police mentioning the neighbour is playing loud music and threatened me when asked to put it softer. They say that they can't log a report because its not considered a threat.

When asked to explain what a threat is, they reenacted some form of threat by repeating the word "threaten". I then mentioned that the neighbour said "nkasano" which I did not know what it means neither did the police officer therefore it cannot be considered a threat according to them. I said based on the premise that it was used while the person was approaching me and pointing fingers at me and saying I was being disrespectful while mentioning they know me because they can see me over our fence yet I have never spoken to them. I said that behaviour should be considered a threat.

I mentioned their kids throw things over the wall. She said well those are kids.

She asked me what I would like the police to do, I said I want this on record and if there is a consistency then it is a problem. She said she could not do anything as it is not a threat and that I need to call Metro.

I told her I feel unsafe.

My Dad has asked that I wait for community police before I call metro.

Is there any legal bearing here over what just happened? Was it right for me to go to the police station? I do feel unsafe walking outside, the neighbour is constantly watching

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
I approached the police mentioning the neighbour is playing loud music and threatened me when asked to put it softer. They say that they can't log a report because its not considered a threat.

When asked to explain what a threat is, they reenacted some form of threat by repeating the word "threaten". I then mentioned that the neighbour said "nkasano" which I did not know what it means neither did the police officer therefore it cannot be considered a threat according to them. I said based on the premise that it was used while the person was approaching me and pointing fingers at me and saying I was being disrespectful while mentioning they know me because they can see me over our fence yet I have never spoken to them. I said that behaviour should be considered a threat.

I mentioned their kids throw things over the wall. She said well those are kids.

She asked me what I would like the police to do, I said I want this on record and if there is a consistency then it is a problem. She said she could not do anything as it is not a threat and that I need to call Metro.

I told her I feel unsafe.

My Dad has asked that I wait for community police before I call metro.

Is there any legal bearing here over what just happened? Was it right for me to go to the police station? I do feel unsafe walking outside, the neighbour is constantly watching
You can't come to a conclusion yourself?

wbot

Expert Member
If music is loud enough for neighbours to hear then that is against municipal by-laws and police is supposed to investigate and force them to stop. Sounds to me your local police are lazy and useless.

We've had issues with neighbours and regular loud music in the past as well and luckily for us police put a stop to that but only after numerous complaints. Those neighbours were also eventually evicted because we lived in a complex and it was against the rules.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
burn their house down, not really but honestly these types of people - i hope they have slow painful deaths.

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
If music is loud enough for neighbours to hear then that is against municipal by-laws and police is supposed to investigate and force them to stop. Sounds to me your local police are lazy and useless.

We've had issues with neighbours and regular loud music in the past as well and luckily for us police put a stop to that but only after numerous complaints. Those neighbours were also eventually evicted because we lived in a complex and it was against the rules.
It is quite simple:
1. Log noise disturbance with saps
2. Inform BC/Managing entity with case number

If its an entity within a trading centrum, the same two steps, and include the issuer or controller of their trade and drinking license.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Surely noise complaints apply to after a certain time of day?

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Surely noise complaints apply to after a certain time of day?
Go lookup 'Disturbing Noise' and 'Noise Nuisance'; in a nutshell repetitive noise can be reported at any time as there is no such thing as after or before a certain time.

e.g.

As to the 'Noise Nuisance'; I've successfully had a tenant removed from a shopping complex close to a residency, who've repetitively had loud parties up and until 2am. (In fact, back then I also reported him to the liquor licensing board).

Last edited: