Nelson Mandela Bay is drowning in rubbish

schumi

Honorary Master
Rubbish is piling up on the corners of streets in Nelson Mandela Bay, next to clinics, hospitals, churches, schools, initiation schools, roads, dams and storm water pipes. Yet according to the Mayor’s office, this is one of the cleanest cities in South Africa.

In July this year Mayor Mongameli Bobani allocated R40 million to fight illegal dumping and littering in the 2019-20 financial year. The municipality introduced a Clean and Green Programme and partnered with 43 cooperatives to reduce dumping.

But it seems the municipality is losing the battle.

Vukile Nqoba of Zwide township in Port Elizabeth lives next to the Dora Nginza Hospital’s boundary wall. “Everyday I pick up used nappies, papers and plastics in front of my house. Residents come with their wheelie bins and dump rubbish on this boundary wall. Some of them come in bakkies and cars.”

“They bring all sorts of rubbish including dead dogs.”

Nqoba says objecting to this illegal dumping has made him many enemies. “I tried to scare them by threatening to report them to the municipality. But they tell me that they don’t care. I have even tried to call the municipality to intervene. But they just tell me to write down the [vehicle] registration numbers.

“This has been going on for more than ten years now. I have small kids who have to endure these stinking conditions. This is a hospital, but people have no respect for that,” he said.

Nqola said the municipality collected domestic garbage once a week, “but this heap of rubbish is only removed after two or three months”.
More at: https://www.groundup.org.za/article/nelson-mandela-bay-drowning-rubbish/

Rhein

Unfortunately the whole South Africa has a serious litter problem.
You are quite correct!
And most of the litter is black plastic bags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
it's obviously not a big deal coz it's like that all over the place .... I mean it even keeps tourists away, what's not to like :whistling:

#wallowersinfilth

Flanders

Honorary Master
I can't even talk about litter without getting worked up. It's as though the majority of South Africans actually like living in it.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I would say it's relatively cleaner than the rest of the country. Hard to say if it's due to more spent of cleaning up after people, or just less littering/dumping, or both.
Due to cleaning up, go to areas where they don't clean up and you'll see the difference quite quickly.

Radorn

It's a general problem. How many times have a driven behind some (in Cape Town) and then the entire KFC bag just goes out the window.

If you argue with them they say it's ok, it's jist job creation...

Supervan II

It's a generalculture problem. How many times have a driven behind some (in Cape Town) and then the entire KFC bag just goes out the window.

If you argue with them they say it's ok, it's jist job creation...
There, I fixed it for you.

This mentality is what grates my kahunas to the nth degree. It's an ASBD and should be routed out in total.

And then you get some people who blame it on poverty ... Really? :rolleyes:

SoldierMan

Expert Member
You mean the city? Not cape flats and townships or next to N2
Just read the article now as I thought is was a rubbish collection problem but it's an illegal dumping problem. That's an entirely different problem. If everyone put their rubbish into bins/rubbish dumps where it belongs then we wouldn't have this problem. I'm afraid the residents are to blame for the rubbish problem and not the authorities. Should the authorities clean it up, of course, but I don't think the system is designed like that.