Neotel’s fibre-to-the-home plans for South Africa

Swa

Honorary Master
Neo who? Oh, those guys. :rolleyes: And ffs can everybody just stop with the "value" added services. There's no value to add if the basic service is unaffordable.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Well at least their FUPs used to be decent. Would be interesting if they remain so in future.

Syphonx

Expert Member
By the time they get around to it the only areas without fibre will be small dorps and townships.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Fibre bundles
That makes me think of this:

1280px-Weetbix_Stevage.jpg

Neotel wants to thoroughly understand the market before executing its strategy.

While doing that, it [highlight]will focus on the enterprise and wholesale market[/highlight] to ensure the core business is right.

“There is too much at stake not to do it properly,” he said, adding that he believes in the pursuit of less, only better.

It’s about which which segments of the market they can serve better than anyone else, rather than trying to be everything to everyone.
I seem to recall that the "Second Network Operator" established in 2005 also decided to ignore the residential consumer market, oh wait what was Neotel calling itself before it changed its name to Neotel?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Neotel is developing a fibre-to-the-home play, but is not rushing it to market, its sales and marketing officer Michael Allschwang told MyBroadband.
Like everything else they do.

“We already have a very good fibre network, as you know,” said Allschwang.

“We’ve rolled over 100,000km of fibre past businesses and homes in South Africa, and we have already built fibre to major enterprises.”
I didn't know they had a "very good fibre network", what constitutes a good one? Uptime? Length? Uptake?
100 000 km of fiber past them, what is the uptake percentage? Building it to them doesn't mean they took you up on that offer.

Telkom's at 10% https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibre/167419-how-many-homes-can-get-telkom-fibre.html, what are you at?
And you should really update your coverage map design https://www.neotel.co.za/wps/portal/Services/CheckYourCoverage

Instead of only putting fibre into areas based on basic demographics, Neotel and Liquid Telecom believe in a bundled play.
What exactly does that mean? Including phone services/VoIP? And what do you mean not install based on demographics? Are you going to install it in a township? Of course you'll base it on demographics, like how many people are interested, can the area afford it, etc.

While doing that, it will focus on the enterprise and wholesale market to ensure the core business is right.
So how long does it take to understand the market? Another 20 years?

ingeon

Neotel wants to thoroughly understand the market before executing its strategy
Mmm i vaguely remember a company coming in as the 2nd fixed line operator in 2006, but now to remember what they were called :whistling: They probably wanted to understand the market before executing, oh wait...

Neo who? Oh, those guys. :rolleyes: And ffs can everybody just stop with the "value" added services. There's no value to add if the basic service is unaffordable.
Spot on. Affordable and reliable FTW

Johand

Expert Member
I read the article and came to the conclusion that they are not planning FTTH but are forced to say something to look cool. Vumatel started small with no infrastructure and look where they are now. But the time Neotel "understands" they will probably just become another ISP.

Petec

Expert Member
Neotel, when you announced your success as the SNO, we were all overjoyed.
Here was a new player, who would disrupt the Telkom stranglehold... Or so we foolishly believed...
Fast forward a full DECADE, and you are getting your butt whipped by players who started with a fraction of your resources!
All the fibre in the ground means nothing if you have no strategy or skills to connect the last mile, and then add decent value.
Between Telkom, Eskom, Transnet, they probably still have the largest fibre network in the southern hemisphere, but just like you, it is a white elephant if you fail to execute.

Silly SNO is silly

moklet

Expert Member
Neotel wants to thoroughly understand the market before executing its strategy
By the time they understand their market it is gone. Divided up by the competition.

j4ck455

Executive Member
I think with Liquid in charge now they'll be like a different company though.
That might be true but Neotel always focused on corporate customers for fibre optic and gave residential customers the finger (CDMA).

There are several red flag statements in the news article that suggest that Neotel (under new management) still doesn't understand the residential market that it says it wants to service with FTTH.

Neotel should surely have learnt something since 2005, 12 years later.

While doing that, it will focus on the enterprise and wholesale market to ensure the core business is right.
This will not only ensure that the services are used, but will increase customer retention, he said.
Good luck with that Liquid Neotel,

Petec

Expert Member
Let's not forget that there are loads of business parks, adjacent to or within, residential areas.
How are you going to get in there Neotel? Most will be on fibre in the next three years.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Well, they are making money somehow, because I heard that their employees get bonuses, 4 times a year.
My 2c, I have no idea why Liquid would purchase Neotel. They have no decent product and aren't well known in the market, as they should have been by now.

lordnokon

We are running Neotel fibre for 7 years now 50Mb/s 1:1 ratio

I didn't know they had a "very good fibre network", what constitutes a good one? Uptime? Length? Uptake?
100 000 km of fiber past them, what is the uptake percentage? Building it to them doesn't mean they took you up on that offer.
PROS:
It took them 2 weeks to dig and trench and have us up and running.
London ping 4ms reply, America 7ms reply.
Support Desk Engineers are well trained and competent, resolves issue quick.
We have 6 down times in the last 7 years. All cable breaks with contractors, longest wait before being back up and running was 5 hours.

CONS:
Useless after sales support from account managers.
Pricing for the line has not been dropped since signing up even thou our contract was a 2year.

paul5186

Expert Member
That latency is impossible unless the content provider has a cache or they serve content locally

Bogartxx

Fibre in RSA is just a joke compared with other countries n the world.
Ask anyone like Mweb etc when your house might get fibre they refuse to answer because they say it is nothing to to do with them It is the infrustructure companies who provide the Fibre. Ask all of them and the short answer is "We have no idea"
Pathetic just as this statement from Neotel is.