Neotel 4Mbps LTE Review (Installation and Speed test)

borexola

Hello All,

So here's my first ever post here.
I thought I should share my experience with you all as this forum was guided me in making a decision on what ISP to go with.

So I recently moved to a new complex in Craigavon Area in Fourways and was in desperate need of good Internet. I contacted Telkom and was told they no longer have ports in the area despite their site showing that I could get up to 40Mbps. So I had to look for other alternatives.

I tested Telkom's LTE sim for a few days but the Signal I was getting was quite unstable. Only managing to get 2Mbps connection speed on an LTE signal. 3G on Telkom was quite better and was hitting about 4Mbps sometimes. Telkom was so unstable and Netflix and Youtube on my Smart TV could hardly render in HD.

Using Vodacom and MTN had great speeds but were too expensive and did not offer uncapped plans. Which is exactly what I needed.

I contacted Neotel and asked about their 4mbps uncapped plan. I completed the form and sent all required documents to the sales Rep via email. He got back to me with an update within 24 hours and within 48 hours I was told my order has been approved.

I got a call from the installation team within a few hours (Friday) and was told they will be coming through on Monday to install if it was convenient.

Today, the installers came through (2 gentlemen). They tested with an Huawei router and could only get 2 Bars of Signal. So they had to install an outdoor antenna. The whole installation took about 1hr3mins. I also got a ZyXel router as well.

By the time the installers were leaving, my connection speed was steady at 3.7mbps Upload, 1.3mbps Download. I was told as well by the installers during their testing that the best speed I could get from my location was about 6Mbps and that upgrading to a 10Mbps from my location would not be a good idea.

Now, Im getting 3.8mbps to 3.9Mbps steady download speed and 1.3mbps steady upload speed. Ping is about 15ms to ZA servers as well.

I connected my smart TV as soon as they left and got on NetFlix and HD it is. So crisp and clear. I tried youtube, played an HD playlist (No Buffering, HD was consistent) So brilliant. Connection speed has been so consistent. I tried a few minutes of online gaming as well (Although, I disconnected Netflix) twas perfect.

I'll continue to monitor the connection and update this post again soon.

But with what I've seen so far, There'll be no need to upgrade my Line. The 4Mb line works just perfect.

Thanks.

borexola

Update,

So I've been using this service for about a week now and I must say, Its been great.
Download speed is consistent at: 3.8mbps to 3.9Mbps.
Except between 7pm and 8:30pm on weekdays. my speeds drop to between 1.75mbps and 2.5mbps. (I'll attribute this to peak period issues).