Neotel fibre versus Telkom uncapped ADSL

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
No point in the comparison really, ADSL is a best effort service, while Fiber gives you what you pay for (In most cases). R9,348 for 10Mbps :sick: That is almost a Grand a Mb!

caspa

Expert Member
And Neotel offer 12 free SIP channels with there fiber which means if you a business you can boot telkoms R200 /pm line rental......so it could be up to a R2400 /pm saving for some.

BGE

Expert Member
What about availability? Neotel's fibre network coverage is nowhere near that of Telkom's ADSL network... I've always seen Neotel's fibre products as business only, while Telkom's ADSL is business and residential... has that changed??

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
Also, most Fibre customers, probably have a ADSL line as well. The reason they have the fibre, is likely the poor 512k upload speeds on ADSL. If ADSL had better upload speeds, less people would go for fibre.

The browsing happens over the ADSL, while the fibre handles the mail, VPN, VOIP etc.

Nether

Expert Member
Also, most Fibre customers, probably have a ADSL line as well. The reason they have the fibre, is likely the poor 512k upload speeds on ADSL. If ADSL had better upload speeds, less people would go for fibre.

The browsing happens over the ADSL, while the fibre handles the mail, VPN, VOIP etc.
ADSL uses a type of technology that doesn't allow much room for uploads.

Telkom would probably not even be able to change that even if they wanted to

ADSL differs from the less common symmetric digital subscriber line (SDSL). Bandwidth (and bit rate) is greater toward the customer premises (known as downstream) than the reverse (known as upstream).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_digital_subscriber_line

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
More businesses should be on fibre in some shape or form. ADSL is a wonderful consumption orientated product which is what some businesses need - staff sending emails browsing the web etc ... VDSL takes things for the home up a notch but to have any serious VoIP and so on solution is going to require connectivity that isn't best effort, also VDSL and even getting ADSL to decent speeds assumes quite deep fibre penetration. What Telkom is showing is that Neotel are backwards and not much more.

savage

Expert Member
What a useless article...

Compare apples with apples please...

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
What about availability? Neotel's fibre network coverage is nowhere near that of Telkom's ADSL network... I've always seen Neotel's fibre products as business only, while Telkom's ADSL is business and residential... has that changed??
This. Availability is key - we would have installed Neotel fibre ages ago in our office if we could get it.

kalmte

we got Neotel Fiber for the 30X faster upload speeds. still pretty expensive

sjm

This is the exact setup I had at my old company

elvis_presley

Expert Member
However, despite these advantages many people simply compare the price of NeoBroadband fibre and uncapped business ADSL based on downlink speed to select the most affordable service.
Sadly, yes they do, and that's not the target market for the fibre product. Shopping by price alone in any market, not just connectivity, works the same - you'll usually get an inferior product.

j4ck455

Executive Member
I hope Neotel's fibre optic customer service is better than the 7+ days of no response from Neotel as a consumer, from my perspective I think even Telkom provides better customer service compared to Neotel.

MickeyD

RIP
Sorry, MyBB, but this comparison is technically incomparable. Fibre wins every day of the week.