Neotel plans to boost fibre broadband

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
1. Article is stupid for not mentioning the difference in upload speeds between NeoFibre and ADSL. You can't just compare them like that.

2. I want to know when I can get fibre at my house.

zeely

yeh - neotel 15mb is 15mb up and down, not 512kup, 15mb down - this makes it HUGELY popular for business

Nether

Expert Member
I'm pretty sure Neotel doesn't have to worry about Telkom, their service is very scarce.

TheGuy

Expert Member
1. Article is stupid for not mentioning the difference in upload speeds between NeoFibre and ADSL. You can't just compare them like that.

2. I want to know when I can get fibre at my house.
Article is stupid because it does not provide any info from Neotel at all. What is the point?

Nuro

Expert Member
We use their 10Mbit fibre at work, and for 99% of the time we can't really complain. Upload speed is pretty important for us, and we often max out our line up and down. In 2 years we have only logged 2 support calls for minor issues. It's expensive, but compared to wasted man hours fussing with the DSL, it doesn't compare.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I have neotel fibre at work and I cant say im super impressed with it. The latency is not what I expected and its no better than an adsl line would be. The upload is still important though so Im interested to see what they do with it.

Avenue

Expert Member
Neotel. They've been "working on" a competitive alternative for consumers since launch. I'm yet to see it.

Randux

Expert Member
I've read of Neotels plans and promises since I was a teenager now I'm 23 and they are still at it lol

falcon786

Executive Member
Neofail still failing then,besides fibre lines to big business in a few areas they have completely let the South African public down and when they were crying for their license they were whistling through their @sses about how they were going to create competition for Telkom.

Heres an idea neofail,get your holding companies to actually INVEST some capital in decent infrastructure to compete with telkom properly.LTE may just be what they need to get them in the game.

mcryan

Expert Member
Neotel could compete with ADSL in a big way, but at the current pricing no home users are going to join up.

Give us a decently priced residential fibre connection and I'll sign up immediately.

ebendl

Expert Member
Why are they limiting the speeds to 10, 15 Mbps? WHy not offer something REALLY competitive and go for 100 Mbps?

Pada

Executive Member
I don't see FTTH happening soon in SA, because you need qualified/trained people and expensive equipment for fibre splicing, etc.

IMO Telkom should replace all the copper lines with fibre in the areas where the cables get stolen frequently.

Our NeoBroadband 10Mbps Fibre connection's uptime is amazing. It is better than what we get at like some of the data centres! The latencies and upload speeds are also better than what we get from the data centres.
Unfortunately Neotel has Indians for telephonic support, which make it near impossible to have a decent conversation. Secondly, every now and then they have some kind of routing problem on their network. I've wasted quite a lot of time by trying to sort out our Neotel issues.

It is really a shame that Neotel can't get their act completely together...

Bismuth

Expert Member
Neotel could compete with ADSL in a big way, but at the current pricing no home users are going to join up.

Give us a decently priced residential fibre connection and I'll sign up immediately.
You and me both, plus quite a few others!

But, yeah, ain't holding my breath, will just have to deal with Telkom until then.

B

damian24

Birdie told me somewhere between 30 and 50Mbps connection for like R2k more a month.

don't know if I can totally trust the birdie but they are inside Neotel.

D

SteveO

Expert Member
Neofail still failing then,besides fibre lines to big business in a few areas they have completely let the South African public down and when they were crying for their license they were whistling through their @sses about how they were going to create competition for Telkom.

Heres an idea neofail,get your holding companies to actually INVEST some capital in decent infrastructure to compete with telkom properly.LTE may just be what they need to get them in the game.
go and look at how much debt they still have....its gonna be an uphill battle for them...