Nersa registers 98 new private power projects with 908MW capacity in Q3 2023

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
“It is concerning that most of the registered facilities are further deepening the California Duck Curve as they are
not coupled with storage,” Gumede said.
“It’s recommended that registration applications for generation facilities of variable energy sources be coupled with battery storage.”
why is this a problem? this could help drop loadshedding stages during the day which is when most companies operate.
yes, having batteries would be good, but having a fully functioning as well as corruption and incompetence-free national power company would be even better, but i guess we can't have that.

Having a completely private electricity supply would be fantastic and can then be held accountable, at the moment it is a "best effort" approach

Having a completely private electricity supply would be fantastic and can then be held accountable, at the moment it is a "best effort" approach
more like its closing the stable door after the Horse has bolted, grown old, become a Hamburger at Wimpy, and the Bones are glue by now.
(circle of life kind of stuff).

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

why is this a problem? this could help drop loadshedding stages during the day which is when most companies operate.
yes, having batteries would be good, but having a fully functioning as well as corruption and incompetence-free national power company would be even better, but i guess we can't have that.
Yep, that is what most is for. To operate in the day when loadshedding kicks in, and have enough spare battery to run the lights security etc at night if there is loadshedding.

An off grid system will probably cost 5 times more.

In reality no, you can't base load shedding on unreliable power. You'd need batteries to ensure that when the sun does go behind a cloud the output doesn't drop 500kw in a second. Imagine you are busy working and you keep having brown outs.
Also weather predictions are only 75% accurate so you can't tell with 100% tomorrow that you'll have sun or not.

Hmmmm... So they can use that to refill the pumped-storage hydro then? Oh, wait... that's running in generation mode too atm...

It’s an issue because you can’t ramp coal power stations up and down so fast. At least you shouldn’t as they like to run as base-load power stations

Time of day pricing would fix this problem. If it cheaper for me to set my geyser to reheat at a specific time or have some machinery run at a specific time, then I would do it.

Something like this is inevitable... If the cost to generate isn't linear, neither should the price be.

Time of day pricing would fix this problem. If it cheaper for me to set my geyser to reheat at a specific time or have some machinery run at a specific time, then I would do it.

Something like this is inevitable... If the cost to generate isn't linear, neither should the price be.
Demand based pricing should have kicked in 16 years ago in 2007 when loadshitting started.

In reality no, you can't base load shedding on unreliable power. You'd need batteries to ensure that when the sun does go behind a cloud the output doesn't drop 500kw in a second. Imagine you are busy working and you keep having brown outs.
Also weather predictions are only 75% accurate so you can't tell with 100% tomorrow that you'll have sun or not.
Not all PV is affected at the same time immediately. You have to have margin in your system in any case. Yes you need stabilisation if you have large portion of solar (which we don't have by any stretch yet) but that doesn't even need to be batteries.

PV during the day brings relief.Even if it is just letting OCGT burn less diesel. And we are far, far away from the solar concentrations other countries are successfully running.

Anyway the anti-renewable lobby with their baseload argument is getting a bit stale with many parts of the world successfully running on high ratios of renewables.

It's not unreliable. Unreliable means it's not functioning as it should. Daytime is when most power is used and if it can alleviate some of that demand Eskom doesn't need to use its own storage and then top it up during nighttime so you get a reduction during both.

So why can they not dump their excess power in the Eskom Battery Bank system that articles keep popping up about. Or is that another "feeding" trough, and will not become a reality?

It's not unreliable. Unreliable means it's not functioning as it should. Daytime is when most power is used and if it can alleviate some of that demand Eskom doesn't need to use its own storage and then top it up during nighttime so you get a reduction during both.
Actually no day time is not when most power is used, most power is used between 5am to 9am and 4pm to 9pm. Hence they are called peaks and those peaks can be 4Gw higher then the day time usage.

Not all PV is affected at the same time immediately. You have to have margin in your system in any case. Yes you need stabilisation if you have large portion of solar (which we don't have by any stretch yet) but that doesn't even need to be batteries.

PV during the day brings relief.Even if it is just letting OCGT burn less diesel. And we are far, far away from the solar concentrations other countries are successfully running.

Anyway the anti-renewable lobby with their baseload argument is getting a bit stale with many parts of the world successfully running on high ratios of renewables.
No pv during the day doesn't bring relief, even if one bank somewhere isn't productive or effects the grid, putting strain on it, then it comes back and now the grid has to compensate again.
Non dispatchable power isn't going to help during LS

I mean here is an example of SA usage from the 23rd, during the peak sun period it is around 25GW for demand and at 7pm almost 28GW for demand. At 6am demand is almost 27GW so please. Solar is good to help, but it cannot sort out load shedding, it varies to much to pin it down here is the pv and wind over the day. Even wind which was performing well was to variableScreenshot_20231208_074846_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231208_074901_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231208_075314_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208_075314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_075314_Chrome.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2
So why can they not dump their excess power in the Eskom Battery Bank system that articles keep popping up about. Or is that another "feeding" trough, and will not become a reality?
because its tiny at 10MW or something stupid. Most certainly a PR exercise.

Back