Netbooks are here to stay

kadaver

Netbooks are def here to stay, I currently use the MSI Wind U100, but mine came with a 6 cell battery.

Gives me about 5 hours worth of life running on the batteries.

It came standard with XP Home, and two partitions which I quickly deleted all partitions and re-installed XP Pro onto the 80gb HDD.

You can open the MSI and install an additional 1gb RAM module, and upgrade the HDD. This of course does void the warranty.

Highly recommended is to upgrade the memory to Corsair RAM, especially if you are going to install BIOS update 1.09 which allows overclocking while connected to a power source of up to a 24% boost in performance.

For any details on all the Netbooks and MIDs out there goto http://www.umpcportal.com/

:D

gdot

Where's the best place to buy an MSI Wind? Thinking of making one into a hackintosh.

kadaver

Sorry, bought mine in Australia, not sure where they are available in SA, but I'm sure a quick search to shopbot or something like that should turn up some online shops which should be cheaper.

Just be aware when going the Hack for the Mac that you will need another wifi card, also the mic jack does not work either.

Do a search on the net first to see if you really want to go that route, there are a few things that might not want to do without. :rolleyes:

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Waiting for the Lenovo - just wonder what it will be priced at here. With the Rand at R 11.00/US$ it may not be affordable...

kadaver

The exchange rate is a current killer, so if you can purchase something now before the companies get there new stock in you might get it relatively cheap.

Also have a look at the Gigabyte, havent managed to get my hands on one, would have loved to as the and X models have the higher screen resolution. Although there is a problem with the back lighting, and the battery life is also an issue.

BTW, they are working a 9cell battery for the MSI Wind :eek:

There is also a new HP 2113 being released near the end of the year.

bar1

Expert Member
Sorry, bought mine in Australia, not sure where they are available in SA, but I'm sure a quick search to shopbot or something like that should turn up some online shops which should be cheaper.

Just be aware when going the Hack for the Mac that you will need another wifi card, also the mic jack does not work either.

Do a search on the net first to see if you really want to go that route, there are a few things that might not want to do without. :rolleyes:

how much did you pay for it in Australia, if you don't mind me asking...

rpm

Admin
Staff member
R 10k for a netbook is crazy - one can get a proper ultra-portable laptop for that price. The R/$ exchange rate is going to hurt us until the Rand gets back its recent losses...

Killer

That is wantitall importing it so I think when Lenovo SA bring them in it should be alot cheaper if you get it direct from Lenovo and not retail.

wiggwire

Laptops are definetly here to stay. Mobility are becoming more essential.
Even mobile gaming, are moving more towards the laptop market.
I have a Dell XPS m1730, and I have loved every minute.

2 thumbs up.

efons

New Prices of the Eee Pc

Last week I downloaded the new price list from Rectron and the Eee Pc 2G now sells at R2600 plus Vat. If you looking for a netbook get yours now at the old price. I think that is why they don't have anything bigger than the 4G. (Now R3600 plus Vat). It will be to expensive. Netbooks are what I have been looking for all my life paying crazy prices for the 11 inch sony although still in a class of its own but yes at a price.

KRS

The Acer Aspire One with XP home is an great machine just the 3 cell battery life is poor at 2 hours. Acer have no indication when the 6 cell battery will be available in SA. It is available on Acer UK website. The Aspire One priced R5000.00 at Incredible Connection on special was R4500.00 last month. From a weight point of view change the power cable it is HEAVY you can save 100g which makes a difference. Highly recommended.

<moLe>

Expert Member
Am I the only one that hates these little pod like over sized calculators? Seriously I'd rather stick with my Dell XPS M2010 sure its big. but its got the crunch factor!!! Seriously these big calculators where meant for old farts and pupils.. to me the way they grew in popularity will remain a joke. But to each his own bout my mother one of those asus ee things bus but cant see myself using one just yet

konfab

Honorary Master
Well i love my little EEE 701 surf. I find that I can take it into class and type notes on it, but when I get home, I plug a 22 inch monitor into it as well as an external hdd, keyboard and mouse. I find it interesting as its a faster work computer than my gaming computer with a Quad core :D

francoislr

Expert Member
Their place...

I like sitting on the stoep, and the little Eee I used for a few months was okay for that. Resolution a little low, but I remoted into my pc and did browsing, chatting and skyping with it...

A big laptop is great, but I had to get the serials of 200 PC's in 100 locations 3 months back.<sarcasm>I really would have preferred lugging a huge gaming laptop around for that exercise.</sarcasm>

So whatever suits the job. Love watching episodes on a mini PC:)

What I would like is a touch screen netbook. Maybe even one where I won't have to install the touch screen myself. But if it comes down to that...