Netcare medical rescue chopper crashes in KwaZulu-Natal midlands

Gerry

Ai, condolences to the family
and respect to those who died while working
during this dangerous time.

Flanders

Honorary Master
On no. RIP :(

Weather and visibility looks okay. Crash site looks decent enough landing area even for auto-rotation. I wonder what happened.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see the media say that witnesses heard an explosion in the air, best to wait on the eventual report. Who is maintaining this helicopter?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
July 2, 2020

acidrain

Executive Member
Guess it's not only SANPARKS that suffers from incompetent pilots.

/s

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Guess it's not only SANPARKS that suffers from incompetent pilots.

/s

It could be due to poor maintenance, and or combined,

No back up​

Mechanical failure is the peril most feared by helicopter crews because of its severity. While a twin-engined passenger jet can fly on one engine, the failure of a key helicopter component such as the rotor and rotor shaft, main gearbox or tail rotor often proves fatal. In no other type of flying machine is so much stress placed on single components.

Airliners, for example, are required to have what regulators call redundancy in vital components. This means that, as far as possible, there needs to be alternative methods of propulsion and flight control so that if one system fails, another takes over. Helicopters lack redundancy in most vital components. Although there may be two engines on a large helicopter, their power is directed to the main rotor through just one gearbox and one rotor drive shaft. An airliner can lose an engine yet continue to fly safely: there is no such safety valve in a helicopter.

Giving the amount of power passing through them, and enormous stresses placed on them, gearbox failures are almost ubiquitous in the world’s fleets of large helicopters and Sikorsky’s experience has been no exception. It was introduced around the turn of the century with a price tag of $90 million (€85m) and proved to be a very safe machine until a 2009 tragedy en route to a Newfoundland oil platform killed 17 people. A gearbox problem was blamed. A gearbox problem was also the cause of an emergency forced landing in Australia in 2008 when all the gearbox oil was found to have leaked away due to a flawed filter.

Too early to say whether this was due to pilot error. I would guess that the Bell 430 was airworthy.

It is going to be long wait until more is known.

The_Donkey

Honorary Master

Too early to say whether this was due to pilot error. I would guess that the Bell 430 was airworthy.

I see on Wikipedia only one ever crashed.

Any Wikipedia editors around to update: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_430

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see on Wikipedia only one ever crashed.

Any Wikipedia editors around to update: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_430

Note: The list is incomplete. It only lists those in the ASN database.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I wonder how many Bell 430 pilots are employed by Netcare, or sourced. Fatigue is real.

acidrain

Executive Member

Oh I'm not saying it's pilot error. Hence the sarcasm and reference to sanparks who also had a heli go down but everyone said untrained pilot because it's sanparks.

More than likely something just went wrong with the aircraft.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
This evening I learn with devastating that three medical people on the flight were well known to my wife. Not personal friends, but professional interaction. She arrived home and is utterly shattered. The people who died are all of the very best in their line of work. So many good people are lost to us through too many unfortunate circumstances. No words. Just simply wish that their families, their loved ones, and colleagues will find some peace in the days ahead.

Rest in peace :(

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Very sad. Out of most professions I hold the highest regard and esteem for paramedics and emergency health workers.

Great people that put their lives on the line for others.

Segg

Expert Member
RIP

This accident has taken some very good people away from us. I will be very interested to read the final report once is has been released.

These machines are seriously well maintained due to their line of work, and as mentioned above, the single point of failures such as gearboxes etc. Every few years a couple million is spent stripping these machines down and putting them back together again. I have seen the work done on these hellies first hand, and it is top notch.