Netflix and 20Mbps and 4k content

GrantS46

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at getting a Netflix account that will allow me to stream 4k movies. It does however advise on getting a 25Mbps line but the closest to this is a 20Mbps line.
There is however a 40Mbps line but this is close to double the price of the 20. I'm curious if anyone is streaming 4k Netflix off a 20Mbps line and IF there is any buffer g or other issues they are having? TIA

AsianSpaceman

Netflix is pretty well optimized IMO, and for the amount of content, even if it is a small portion compared to the US catalogue, is still worth it (for me), so I say just give it a go for a month and see what it's like on your line. I think they have a 30 day free trial too.

Toastmaster

Netflix streams 2160p content at just over 7mbps on my side.
You sure you're watching 2160p? That seems very low. Youtube buffers 4k content when my line drops to less than ~23Mbps (depending on the video). I'd expect Netflix to be roughly the same.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
IIRC Netflix does offer local peering as well, so even if your package has 'slow' international speeds, most content should play just fine:

I've found that when we are throttled down to 2mbps on Telkom, Netflix continues to run at FHD as if it were on my usual 20mbps connection. International speeds tank, however and fast.com seems to reflect that (Ookla Speedtest will lie and tell me I am still getting between 18 and 20mbps)

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
You sure you're watching 2160p? That seems very low. Youtube buffers 4k content when my line drops to less than ~23Mbps (depending on the video). I'd expect Netflix to be roughly the same.
Yep, enabled the streaming stats on the Android TV app. Let's see if I can take a photo

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I don't currently have a 4K NF account, but I was curious how my 20Mbps line handled 4K, and via Youtube, it struggles, to the extent that I would not spring for a NF account, as I'd not be confident in it working properly. I'd upgrade to 30, but of course my ISP is 5, 10, 20, 40, 100...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Netflix maxes out at 15.56mbps on my 50meg line.

Slamz

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at getting a Netflix account that will allow me to stream 4k movies. It does however advise on getting a 25Mbps line but the closest to this is a 20Mbps line.
There is however a 40Mbps line but this is close to double the price of the 20. I'm curious if anyone is streaming 4k Netflix off a 20Mbps line and IF there is any buffer g or other issues they are having? TIA

it will work fine. i had 20Mbps fibre line and it worked great, even with ususing other devices at the same time. you can possibly watch 2nd tv hd content as well.

3WA

Honorary Master
I've streamed 4K Netflix on 20 Mbps without a problem.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I have a 4k TV in the lounge and 1080p in the bedrooms.
Netflix streams in 4k on my 20meg line even with another device streaming in 1080.

Much unlike dstv now which buffers no matter what :laugh:

furpile

Expert Member
Yep, enabled the streaming stats on the Android TV app. Let's see if I can take a photo
How did you do this? Is it on an Android TV box? I was looking for a way to do this but couldn't find any. Had to use the Netflix test videos.