Netflix coming soon to SA

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Is it also showing up on the ps3 menu?
I saw this ... was quite confused as I already have the app so it showed up twice.

Then When I selected the first one it wanted to install again so I cancelled. I tried the other one and it worked.

Praemon

Expert Member
Assuming the SA sub is cheaper than US, surely?

Otherwise register on US and move to SA
Sure. But even if it's slightly more expensive, I'm still happy moving to a SA account. Makes payment easier (although I haven't had any problems in the past), but more importantly, by supporting the local Netflix it will hopefully allow them to invest in better local offerings. So don't mind switching for those reasons.

isie

Honorary Master
Sure. But even if it's slightly more expensive, I'm still happy moving to a SA account. Makes payment easier (although I haven't had any problems in the past), but more importantly, by supporting the local Netflix it will hopefully allow them to invest in better local offerings. So don't mind switching for those reasons.
THe more the dollar goes up and the rand goes down the more netflix will cost :(

kianm

Honorary Master
Which is why a localised rate might be a win for us.
This got me thinking, considering when i signed up sometime ago it used to cost me around R80 but now over a 100 bucks. I don't see a problem in using Uno on those SA accounts just like we do with the US accounts, should still be possible to switch regions

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member
I'm expecting the price to be between R100 and R150 when they launch. That's with a heavily diluted local catalog though.

At least them being in SA will provide for easier payment.

Most of us will be continue using UnoTelly to switch regions and get the content we want.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The slow death of monochoice
Lol doubt it....at least not anytime remotely soon.

The "ease of use"; "availability" & "brand cachet" are all for the most part positive for MC.

Ignore the tiny; vocal; MyBB bunch & look at them actual (key) subscriber base.

All Netflix SA will mean is another VOD competitor.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Lol doubt it....at least not anytime remotely soon.

The "ease of use"; "availability" & "brand cachet" are all for the most part positive for MC.

Ignore the tiny; vocal; MyBB bunch & look at them actual (key) subscriber base.

All Netflix SA will mean is another VOD competitor.
Which might actually drive up broadband adoption. Still a good thing.

Pitbull

Verboten
Anyone know how till will affect Netflix pricing?

As an example:

I subscribe to SA Netflix and use Unotelly for the other regions - No problem. So would one rather pay a Rand subscription or leave it as is?
To you current Netflix people ofc :p

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

As an example:

I subscribe to SA Netflix and use Unotelly for the other regions - No problem. So would one rather pay a Rand subscription or leave it as is?
You're a bit premature. No one knows the local pricing yet because Netflix hasn't announced it.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

As an example:

Even if it's a couple bucks a month cheaper I won't change. Would lose my history and rated shows. Not worth it.

Pitbull

Verboten
You're a bit premature. No one knows the local pricing yet because Netflix hasn't announced it.
Just curious.

Lets assume it's a R 10 - 15 change not fluctuating with exchange rates?

Even if it's a couple bucks a month cheaper I won't change. Would lose my history and rated shows. Not worth it.
Yea, I took think I'll just keep it as is since it won't really bother me. Unless they maybe need to see actual SA subscribers to warrant series releases or whatever. Then I'll make my presence known as an example. But apart from that, nope.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Yea, I took think I'll just keep it as is since it won't really bother me. Unless they maybe need to see actual SA subscribers to warrant series releases or whatever. Then I'll make my presence known as an example. But apart from that, nope.
I actually wonder how deep the dns location tracking actually goes. With a VPN the traffic obviously goes through to the VPN host first, then down to you. But with a DNS service the traffic comes straight through to you. Netflix can surely track this? As well as track the oigin of the payments, so they should already have a good idea of how many Netflix users there are in ZA.

Pitbull

Verboten
I actually wonder how deep the dns location tracking actually goes. With a VPN the traffic obviously goes through to the VPN host first, then down to you. But with a DNS service the traffic comes straight through to you. Netflix can surely track this? As well as track the oigin of the payments, so they should already have a good idea of how many Netflix users there are in ZA.
Yea true. I mean they know how many of us are using it currently. But I suppose they will need to be able to see if it's viable when we use the SA service instead of the others. O well I suppose time would tell.

Garson007

Honorary Master
Of course. Netflix is 100% aware of Unotelly and they will make no effort to can it. A region restriction is probably what their lawyers said was necessary to keep up with regulations.

EnderZaMan

Lets hope it has more than ShowMax offers. :3
I believe Netflix has different series/movies with each different country.