Netflix could destroy DStv - MultiChoice

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

MultiChoice said over-the-top (OTT) providers like Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, HBO Now, and Peacock pose an existential competitive threat to its DStv offering.

This statement was made as part of MultiChoice’s presentation at ICASA’s recent inquiry into the subscription television broadcasting services market in South Africa.

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) launched an inquiry into the state of competition in the subscription broadcasting services sector in July 2016.

R13...

Honorary Master
However, it was found that the impact of OTTs in South Africa is muted given the limited access to broadband access, the perceived high cost of data, and low Internet speeds.
Not just perceived ICASA, it is hideously expensive especially given that most people have to rely on mobile data.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Not just perceived ICASA, it is hideously expensive especially given that most people have to rely on mobile data.
Yeah, we are paying over $3700 (price worked out on vc`s per GB pricing) a TB on mobile networks. Its good that services like Rain are emerging, but the only seem to be emerging in places which already have telecoms competition.

MeestaR

Expert Member
Internet traffic increased by who knows how much, and everyone began to steam movies and series, legally and illegally, since this craziness we know as your ugly aunt rona.

DSTV(Monochoice) has monopolised Satellite TV for years, since I can remember. But Netflix is a giant compared to DSTV, why are you complaining? Scared of losing your loyal customers?
Monochoice has ruled for too long. Time to give up the king's seat for couple other companies hey? Be nice.

One thing that DSTV still has it's foot in the door, is the Sat TV infrastructure. Expecting Netflix to get in there as well? Not likely.

Shadowchaser1

Shame, waking up @ last? So what is your plan? DSTV is way behind on innovation, sorry, that's not in their playbook. A friend of mine in SA said they had Rocky and Rambo again on DSTV. Jeez, how many times must he win the same fight and war/s? Really? Get with the times guys.

boboudts

Because DSTV offer nothing more than mindless soap operas and ad nauseum repeats of childish game shows, lewd comedy and hillbillies being investigated for family murders, along with far to many advert interruptions.

PS their subscription costs for all this cr@p are also way OTT!

DSTV should rather relocate to Nigeria as that country is clearly their target market.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
And water is wet and the sky is blue and water takes the shape of the container it's in etc. etc.

Last edited:

Speedster

Honorary Master
Internet traffic increased by who knows how much, and everyone began to steam movies and series, legally and illegally, since this craziness we know as your ugly aunt rona.

DSTV(Monochoice) has monopolised Satellite TV for years, since I can remember. But Netflix is a giant compared to DSTV, why are you complaining? Scared of losing your loyal customers?
Monochoice has ruled for too long. Time to give up the king's seat for couple other companies hey? Be nice.

One thing that DSTV still has it's foot in the door, is the Sat TV infrastructure. Expecting Netflix to get in there as well? Not likely.
One thing DSTV still has is a monopoly of sport. Take that away and DSTV is dead on the water

Corelli

Expert Member
Dear Multichoice.

You have been milking us for ages charging excessive fees and then demanding we pay for this. For probably so 30 years now.

You were happy that you managed to push anyone else out of the market.

Now it's your time to either get up with the times or dissapear.

And honestly our national teams are pathetic at the moment. I dont even bother to watch them anymore.

Corelli

Expert Member

I removed my dish and binned it ages ago.

Pegasus

Executive Member

MultiChoice said over-the-top (OTT) providers like Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, HBO Now, and Peacock pose an existential competitive threat to its DStv offering.

This statement was made as part of MultiChoice’s presentation at ICASA’s recent inquiry into the subscription television broadcasting services market in South Africa.

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) launched an inquiry into the state of competition in the subscription broadcasting services sector in July 2016.
No problem.

Make them pay a licence fee.
And have 50% SA content.
And BEE.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
No problem.

Make them pay a licence fee.
And have 50% SA content.
And BEE.
Will be interesting to see what their response to that will be.

I hope the good old FOADIAF response will be forthcoming to that kind of nonsense.

Danie_V

Absolutely nothing wrong with outdated business models being killed off. Multichoice needs to go the same way as Musica. It's on on-demand online world now. Consumers don't want to be dictated to regarding what to watch which repeat show at what time. The expensive cost of DSTV is probably the subsidizing of sport channels, which in turn excludes others from televising many matches. Why is it in other countries all sport seems to be available online on the Internet. Multichoice is actually holding SA back. This is my guess, but I'm wondering if Netflix is not producing (and employing) more local people for movies? My wife has certainly had most of her movie extra work from Netflix series.