Netflix had talks with MGM to bring new Bond movie straight to streaming

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Netflix had talks with MGM to bring new Bond movie straight to streaming

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. held discussions with Apple Inc. and Netflix Inc. about taking its new James Bond film directly to streaming, according to people familiar with the situation, but the studio says it’s committed to a theatrical release.

The film, “No Time to Die,” could fetch hundreds of millions of dollars in a potential streaming sale, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions were private. MGM declined to comment on any talks, but said the film “is not for sale.”

“The film’s release has been postponed until April 2021 in order to preserve the theatrical experience for moviegoers,” an MGM representative said.

[Bloomberg]

sandwitch

^^^This.
Going to the movies is horrible in SA. I don't know why the theatres just don't rearrange the chairs, add some tables and switch on the lights. Make it like a restaurant/movie experience because no one shuts up or switches off their cellphones in the movie theatres here anyway.

skimread

Honorary Master
Jeez. I cannot believe that movies like James Bond, Wonder Woman 2 and Black Widow hasn't been released yet.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
“The film’s release has been postponed until April 2021 in order to preserve the theatrical experience for moviegoers,” an MGM representative said.

Smelly theatres filled with loud and unwashed people here in ZA. I prefer watching the odd movie on my projector, thank you.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Sucks for you guys. My local IMAX is epic. Although it is possibly the most recent one constructed by SK.

That said, this would have been a huge score for Netflix.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Sucks for you guys. My local IMAX is epic. Although it is possibly the most recent one constructed by SK.

That said, this would have been a huge score for Netflix.
The issue isn't the cinemas. The issue is the pricing (rip off). The people. The queues. No thank you. Only queue I have at home is a watch queue.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The issue isn't the cinemas. The issue is the pricing (rip off). The people. The queues. No thank you. Only queue I have at home is a watch queue.
Go on half-price Tuesdays. Other than the first two Friday nights after a major new release, crowds aren't an issue in PE.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Sjoe, $600 million o_O
Report: MGM considered moving James Bond to streaming but Apple/Netflix balked at $600m price tag

Many publications have reported in the last 48 hours that MGM was looking to sell the newest James Bond film, No Time To Die, to a streaming service as low box office numbers continue to threaten the success of a traditional cinema release. The film currently has a release date of 2nd April 2021, with the studio having already delayed the date twice this year following the pandemic-induced slump in cinema ticket sales.

According to Variety, MGM took bids from Apple TV+, Netflix and others. However, it was looking for a deal worth approximately $600 million, a price tag that even the deepest pocket streaming services were not interested in.

Earlier this year, Apple acquired the Tom Hanks movie Greyhound for a purchase price of around $70 million, after Sony could not find a place for it in their theatrical calendar.

Lupus

Honorary Master
odd, i enjoy having people around me in the cinema. its nice to be around people.
You mean after you've sanitized the chairs, the popcorn container, the cold drink, them, the door handles, your shoes and than again when you get home?

Lupus

Honorary Master
^^^This.
Going to the movies is horrible in SA. I don't know why the theatres just don't rearrange the chairs, add some tables and switch on the lights. Make it like a restaurant/movie experience because no one shuts up or switches off their cellphones in the movie theatres here anyway.
A few of the cinemas now have recliners, bigger comfy chairs and most of the time people aren't speaking. This isn't a US cinema