Netflix & Hulu on Neotel NeoBroadband

Woodie

My patience has run out with my unstable Telkom line, and with no upgrades planned for my area in the near future, I have been looking around for alternatives. Applied for a BitCo service, but there is no clear LOS and application was therefore declined. My next option is to consider Neotel.

A big part of my usage is streaming Netflix and Hulu via a Roku 3 using Unotelly DNS. As the Roku devices do not support on-device DNS configuration, I have the Unotelly DNS settings done at router level. Before I take the plunge and apply for the Neotel service, I was wondering if any current Neotel users could comment on the following:

Does Neotel support Netflix and Hulu streaming and, if so what is the service like?
Would I be able to change the DNS settings on the Neotel supplied router to the Unotelly DNS servers?

ads

Does Neotel support Netflix and Hulu streaming and, if so what is the service like?
Would I be able to change the DNS settings on the Neotel supplied router to the Unotelly DNS servers?

Where are you situated? I assume you mean NeoBroadband Wireless (LTE). Yes, it's great, with the usual bandwidth guidelines (4 - 5 Mbps required for clean HD, and you should go Uncapped). It depends on the specific router - but the normal Neotel setup now is an outdoor fixed modem, and a router indoors, so you can set up the DNS on the indoor router.

I don't think that desktop Huawei LTE routers (the other possibility on Neotel LTE) let you set the DNS independently of NAT / IP addressing if you use them as the master for DHCP. But you don't have to use that as the master - there are multiple ways to set DNS anyway - on the end device (except for recent changes on the Netflix Android app if you use that), or on another router if you have a home network anyway. You may want to be able to switch DNS for devices that you don't use for Netflix etc, because the Unotelly DNS can slow normal lookups down a bit sometimes.

If you mean NeoBroadband Fibre, it's a no brainer - works like a dream. The LTE and fibre use the same upstream network, which has excellent international (and local) performance - so streaming is great.

Woodie

Based in Florida Park on the West Rand. Looking at the 6Mbps uncapped wireless option (would love fibre, but budget doesn't extend that far at the moment :p)

Not the most technical person, but what I understand from your comment is that I would be able to have my own router hooked up to the Neotel router to manage my DNS requirements. I'll have to research/get assistance should it come to this.

Leathal

I have NEOBB consumer.

The service is good and you CAN configure the router yourself its actually a nice router, VDSL compatible.

beerygaz

I've been trialling NeoBB LTE for a month now (8Mbps) and Netflix works well. I use the Huawei desktop router but run an upstream Linux box to do DHCP, DNS, etc and it works like a charm. I had the service drop our on me for about 6 hours the other day. I couldn't get to a cause because the helpdesk lost the plot when I explained I didn't have an account or number (it's a trial system).

They are a little more expensive than BitCo but I also have a LOS issue so BitCo is not an option.