Netflix Intensifies ‘VPN Ban’ and Targets Residential IP-addresses Too (Updated)

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Netflix has stepped up its efforts to ban VPN and proxy users from bypassing geographical restrictions. The streaming service is now blocking residential IP addresses too, since some unblocking tools use these to bypass restrictions. This isn't without collateral damage as many regular Internet users without a VPN now report "missing content" on Netflix.

Netflix logoSix years ago, Netflix started blocking customers who tried to access its service over a commercial VPN or proxy service.

These changes came after copyright holders repeatedly complained that ‘pirates’ were bypassing Netflix’s geographical restrictions.

The VPN ban caused a lot of frustration for legitimate VPN users, many of whom had no intention of breaking any rules. At the same time, the VPN ‘pirates’ found workarounds by picking services that actively bypass Netflix’s restrictions.
Bypassing Restrictions

There are various ways VPN services have managed to circumvent these blocking efforts. Most keep the technical details private, but it’s commonly known that some are using residential IP-addresses as proxies, to make it look like VPN users are regular ISP subscribers.

This cat and mouse game has caused quite a bit of frustration at Netflix headquarters and, over the past few days, the company appears to have intensified its blocking measures.

There is a flurry of complaints on social media from users whose VPN services were suddenly ‘blocked’ by Netflix. Previously, these people couldn’t play any content while using a VPN. That changed last year. Now, VPN users can still see Netflix originals while other content is hidden and blocked.

People who try to access blocked titles directly through a saved URL will see Netflix’s dreaded proxy/VPN error message instead.
Netflix Bans Residential IP-Addresses

Netflix doesn’t explain which IP addresses are blocked and why, but the most recent efforts are much broader than before. This issue was brought to our attention by WeVPN, which noticed that the updated geo-fencing system is blocking its residential IP addresses.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
As do Disney+? I've seen the message saying too many connections from this ip and of course vpn nodes just not working any more. Fun fact: Make more hoops and we download more isos. At some stage one can hope that gated content will be a thing of the past, but greed hey? I mean who want anyone willing to pay for your content as a subscriber client.

Reactions: rh1

steco777

I have a client in quarantine at a UK hotel and netflix will only show her netflix originals. So they banning legimate IPs as well that’s quite a dumb policy .

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'll take a picture next time
I don't disbelieve you - you might want to contact your dns/vpn service because they're dropping the ball. Sound like their IPs have been flagged.

yea, I went legit with this and Prime.

Really think it's time I cancel both and just use the money on news servers
I'd keep the DNS service just for the UK television. It costs less than $18 a year (R30 per month) and they throw in a VPN as well.

Caryn

Smartdnsproxy has not been working for a week now and no answers form them. I cant watch my US titles anymore. I dont use the other services so going to cancel them.

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
Ahoi there.

Any one know if there is a service that doesnt get picked up by Netflix every two hours or less.
Currently running Private Internet Access and it doesn't really work all that well.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Not logged into any services.
Fire up vpn
Run incognito fwiw
Runs fine for anything up to a few hours and then POW
Am I missing something ( yes I guess I could NOT watch US stuff or dl it, but I like doing it this way)

Speedster

Honorary Master
Ahoi there.

Any one know if there is a service that doesnt get picked up by Netflix every two hours or less.
Currently running Private Internet Access and it doesn't really work all that well.

Fire up vpn
Run incognito fwiw
Am I missing something ( yes I guess I could NOT watch US stuff or dl it, but I like doing it this way)
Saw a few articles recently that Netflix have clamped down on VPNs recently

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Ahoi there.

Fire up vpn
Run incognito fwiw
Did you read the OP?

steco777

Haven’t these big Vpn and proxy services figured out a way around Netflix new blocks yet ? Very surprising .

Are non working anymore ? I remember seeing one of them sponsoring Man Utd .