Netflix Internet speed test site launched

Digilus

Netflix has... test their broadband speed.

This is going to be interesting. The other night - the NetFlix app (under network options) - said my speed was 0.2 mbps (and it was buffering like mad - so I am inclined to believe it), however, SpeedTest.net claimed I was near 5 mbps (which is the expected speed).

This might trip all those ISP's that prioritise the Ookla and Speedtests and other related sites. I know they claim they don't - but :whistling:

Update: I am not paranoid :) - Netflix is showing my speed nearer to 520kb/sec - which is not bad. Will have to wait for "bad" night and see

Last edited:

MickZA

Executive Member
Seems TI aren't cooking the books, 8.7Mbps on my 10MB uncapped.

fast.com.png

Vernon

Expert Member
"Could not reach our servers to perform the test. You may not be connected to the internet."

:confused: lol

Vice

Expert Member
Would be nice if they make it relevant to Netflix app, like for e.g. colour code for suboptimal speeds, etc. This to give you and idea of what speed is not so ideal for their app...just saying.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Apparently Netflix is going to use the data gathered with the "speed tests" to block people using unblockers.

kianm

Honorary Master
Good alternative to speedtest. Soon some ISPs are going to optimize and prioritize this traffic

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
My Netflix US still works after taking the test a few days ago. MyBB late to the party again as usual.

Put yourself in their shoes. You launch the site and block all subscribers using unblockers immediately. People cotton on and stop using it for fear of being blocked.

Alternatively you let the site run for a few months, gather data and then clamp down at once on all suspected accounts. That is what i would do. Bet you copyright holders will ensure some incentive for each pirate blocked?
/tinfoil hat off :D

dougatthewoods

So Vox tells me that I will never get full speed to fast.com because of all the links to get there. Do you think that they are prioritising speedtest.net or does their story have some truth to it? (I can only get good speeds to SA Speedtest Servers)

Untitled.png

Attachments

• 5453463353.png
    5453463353.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 150

wingnut771

Honorary Master
So Vox tells me that I will never get full speed to fast.com because of all the links to get there. Do you think that they are prioritising speedtest.net or does their story have some truth to it? (I can only get good speeds to SA Speedtest Servers)

View attachment 373463

Test with another ISP will answer your question.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/09/netflix-brings-its-fast-internet-speed-test-service-to-ios/

2698a99a49769b33b34b018d3b2a3fe3.png