Netflix is not a threat to South Africa – Black

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Netflix is not a threat to South Africa – Black

Cell C’s Black online streaming service has weighed in on the debate surrounding the threat posed by international streaming services to local pay TV companies.

Black Chief Executive Surie Ramasary stated that while it acknowledges Netflix as a competitor, the hype around the international service is exaggerated and it will not prevent media companies from thriving locally.

Ramasary added that Netflix also does not offer the same level of local content as South African services.

And that is a bad thing?

Most local content is trash.

I am sitting here thinking Black probably has 10 million or under. Its a Cell C project.

It was a joke based on the unfortunate (stupid) name of the service and the population of SA.

I doubt they even have 1-million.

A tech company throwing money at the problem and hiring the best talent around to work full time on building the best online streaming platform and you don't consider them a threat :crylaugh:

He probably means they've already given up trying to compete because they realized it is futile.

I don't think most people care too much about the movies on Netflix. It's the endless supply of quality TV shows and documentaries that make it awesome. Not sure I've ever watched a film on Netflix now that I think about it.

And as far as I'm concerned, the less local content on Netflix the better.

Haha @thread title. Reminded me of Anchorman, where Will Ferrell just says "black" the whole time :D

Not like they'll force you to watch it. That's the appeal.

Rather not have it cause it will pollute my screen with crap shows and start making recommendations for shows I might like where I don't like or watch local klaar. Don't make me pay for that crap. Create a service for local only and people that choose to pay for crap can do so on their own platform.

Create a service for local only and people that choose to pay for crap can do so on their own platform.

Geez, we should thank god or whoever that Netflix doesn't have this mindset otherwise we'd have to pay seperate subscriptions for Netflix USA, Netflix Canada, Netflix Japan, Netflix UK, Netflix Nordic and so forth.

Back