Netflix killing DStv in South Africa could cost thousands of jobs

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed

MultiChoice has warned that if ICASA proceeds with heavy-handed regulations for the pay TV market, it could cost thousands of jobs in South Africa.

ICASA will hold public hearings on an inquiry into subscription television broadcasting services from 7-11 May, and MultiChoice has briefed the media on the feedback it will put forward.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah MC... not actually buying that little excuse, and we can hope ICASA are not stupid enough to buy it either.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

MultiChoice has warned that if ICASA proceeds with heavy-handed regulations for the pay TV market, it could cost thousands of jobs in South Africa.

ICASA will hold public hearings on an inquiry into subscription television broadcasting services from 7-11 May, and MultiChoice has briefed the media on the feedback it will put forward.
DSTV not adapting to changing times could kill thousands of jobs.

People not spending R1000 + on repeats and using that money for other things could actually be better for the economy.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
That's like saying cleaning your kitchen will starve millions of flies.

CPTBoy

I love how he throws the BEE status around like that makes it right to hog all the rights to sports.

So because they are a bloated company ( staff wise ), they should not be regulated?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
MyBB should stop assisting Multichoice in trying to bulls**t the public with these whiny articles.

DSTV is terrible value, they are losing customers and streaming is taking over. That's the whole story.

If Multichoice had launched a 1080p DSTV Now streaming service that included all the content they have the rights to for around R500pm, then their fortunes would probably be quite different. But they were too stupid to read the very obvious signs and now they're behind the times. And as their research claimed in the previous article, once consumers turn to streaming they don't go back to satellite.

beans100

Honorary Master
Article heading suggestion: "Multi choice Sports monopoly killed other Satellite providers"

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Boo hoo.

And I see they're still peddling this "broadcasting" bullschit, and ICASA is falling for it being the dumbfscks they are...

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Cut the cost of premium by 50 to 55% and you will have millions more subscribers.

Nigel13

Competition can only give the public a far better deal on TV streaming. DSTV have a monopoly in South Africa and have been demanding excessive fees for their services. We welcome Netflix etc. with open arms and trust we Will be able to stream sports channels soon at reasonable prices

Superjakes

Expert Member
Cut the cost of premium by 50 to 55% and you will have millions more subscribers.
Next argument will be that they need to charge their current pricing levels to be able to afford 8 gazillion employees locally of which a whole bunch are black and women, so they won't be able to have such a stellar BBBEEEEEEEEEE status if they drop their prices.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Next argument will be that they need to charge their current pricing levels to be able to afford 8 gazillion employees locally of which a whole bunch are black and women, so they won't be able to have such a stellar BBBEEEEEEEEEE status if they drop their prices.
They can make any argument they want, I voted with my wallet years and years ago. Don't care. If they want to see the likes of me (and millions like me) they need to halve the cost of DSTV premium.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Competition can only give the public a far better deal on TV streaming. DSTV have a monopoly in South Africa and have been demanding excessive fees for their services. We welcome Netflix etc. with open arms and trust we Will be able to stream sports channels soon at reasonable prices
I don't get why people are going on about the monopoly aspect of Multichoice. It's normal to have pay-TV monopolies, due to the exclusive nature of content rights. Most major TV shows are shown exclusively on a single service in most territories, and sports rights are almost always exclusive (and very expensive). That's out of Multichoice's control.

The real problem is that they have abused their position as a monopoly and are risking the whole game tumbling down. No one would be complaining about a DSTV monopoly if they had a well-priced streaming service in 1080p quality with all the live sport and other stuff they have rights to. If anything we'd consider ourselves one of the luckiest countries with respect to streaming content.

Superjakes

Expert Member
They can make any argument they want, I voted with my wallet years and years ago. Don't care. If they want to see the likes of me (and millions like me) they need to halve the cost of DSTV premium.
I am in the same boat - totally agreed.