Netflix mobile data usage - MTN vs Vodacom

Dave

Honorary Master
Netflix mobile data usage - MTN vs Vodacom

Regardless of which mobile network you use, a single 22-minute episode of a TV show will cost you around 60MB of data, a MyBroadband investigation has found.

Is there a special potato quality option to get that?

I‘ve just downloaded two episodes of Lucifer (I couldn’t find any 22 minute episodes), one in standard quality (48 minutes) which is 232MB and one at high quality (44 minutes) which is 836MB. I don’t see how 22 minutes of standard quality could be as little as 60MB.

C3CFACBF-74CB-4E35-B8AC-2F692CDF4099.jpeg

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Is there a special potato quality option to get that?

I‘ve just downloaded two episodes of Lucifer (I couldn’t find any 22 minute episodes), one in standard quality (48 minutes) which is 232MB and one at high quality (44 minutes) which is 836MB. I don’t see how 22 minutes of standard quality could be as little as 60MB.
They tested on a cartoon.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I wonder if the device / codec used changes anything ?

Today we are excited to announce that Netflix has started streaming AV1 to our Android mobile app. AV1 is a high performance, royalty-free video codec that provides 20% improved compression efficiency over our VP9† encodes. AV1 is made possible by the wide-ranging industry commitment of expertise and intellectual property within the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia), of which Netflix is a founding member.

BCR

Expert Member
The cellular data usage setting on the Netflix app was set to “Save Data”, and we switched off Wi-Fi on the device during testing.

What resolution does that give you - 360p / 480p - because I don't see that mentioned anywhere in the article ?

susefan

I have an impression that when I stream apple music on mtn mobile data depletes faster than when I use telkom. No figures though.

Joseph matane

This could be cheaper for us subscribers if only Netflix cared
Vodacom used to have Netflix video streaming support under Video Ticket but Netflix and Vodacom partnership agreement broke
Telkom used to have Netflix video streaming support under LIT Video but now is not possible because of Netflix change their minds
So big question is why Netflix is bulling MNO

MGRobinson

I have an impression that when I stream apple music on mtn mobile data depletes faster than when I use telkom. No figures though.
It's just a thought, but it could be that you have a faster connection on MTN, so it streams on a higher quality than Telkom. I would imagine that this would be more influential with video streaming now days though.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If you're on a freeme package with telkom it depletes a different data balance since Apple music is one of the partners.