Netflix now [not] working on Telkom LIT box [Updated 05/10/21]

rvZA

Executive Member
My Nvidia Shield is a game changer for us. No problems with it, whatsoever. Very little, if anything, it cannot do. The first player I owned that just keeps working. Going for two years now.

electrix

My suggestion is to just go out and buy the GoogleTV However, yes, as mentioned it is not the cheapest one around, BUT!!!! What garuantees do we have that Xiaomi Or Mibox does not also have a apparent "agreement" with NetFLIX? How can we be certain that this is the last time we are buying streaming devices? You see, I need to buy 3 of the god forsaken things. I am seriously p!ssed!!!! Damn YOU TELKOM!!!

I want a refund!!

Good point.

The telkom lit still doesnt even support appletv.

I got the xiaomis on a ebucks discount so a no brainer for me

electrix

Apparently no device has lifetime certification

IMG_9296.png

IMG_9295.png

Attachments

• IMG_9296.png
    IMG_9296.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9295.png
    IMG_9295.png
    176.4 KB · Views: 16
See guys, this is my point. Go for the GoogleTV. I think there youll be more or less "sure" it will work until the device dies.

If they just were'nt so damn expensive. I need to replace 3 of them. (Lit Box)

DiabloDane

Expert Member
See guys, this is my point. Go for the GoogleTV. I think there youll be more or less "sure" it will work until the device dies.

If they just were'nt so damn expensive. I need to replace 3 of them. (Lit Box)
2nd hand prices dropped from +-R750-R850 to under R500 over the last week on the LIT boxes, but oh well, hes been a good servant to me,

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
My suggestion is to just go out and buy the GoogleTV However, yes, as mentioned it is not the cheapest one around, BUT!!!! What garuantees do we have that Xiaomi Or Mibox does not also have a apparent "agreement" with NetFLIX? How can we be certain that this is the last time we are buying streaming devices? You see, I need to buy 3 of the god forsaken things. I am seriously p!ssed!!!! Damn YOU TELKOM!!!

I want a refund!!
Xiaomi is not a mickey mouse act like Telkom...
1633340295108.png vs 1633340361949.png

Jonboy_V

Feedback from Nology this morning:

Good day

Unfortunately the contract between Telkom and Netflix has ended and will not be renewed.

The App will no longer function on the Telkom LIT box TVB-100.

All other streaming apps will still function on the device.

The LIT box is a Telkom product and I am not sure if Telkom has any plan to offer a replacement device or accept a trade in.

As an alternative, Nology distributes a Netflix certified off the shelf device called the Ematic, which is not bound by an operator agreement as was the case with the Telkom LIT box.

The Ematic has the same Android look and feel that you are accustomed to.

https://www.takealot.com/ematic-agt419-4k-ultrahd-quad-core-android-tv-box-google-certifi/PLID54965987

Last edited:

Xiphos

Hi there for those that's not on the other thread for the Lit Boxes. Here is a workaround to get Netflix working on the LIT box, sorry its not the most elegant work around but it works.

Nology

Nology
Company Rep
There is another problem, Netflix is preinstalled on the Telkom Lit OTA so if you go to apps "Netflix" it only gives you the option to uninstall update or disable app.
@Nology
Is there a way to completely uninstall the Netflix app or perhaps is there an OTA that does not have Netflix preinstalled for the Lit Boxes?

With "adb shell" you can uninstall the app and without the -k switch that keeps the data and cache directories, but netflix is still detected and we still cant install an older netflix apk version5 that doesnt check the DRM.
We are investigating and working on a firmware that excludes the Netflix APK completely, as soon as we have news we will report it here.