Netflix price change plans for South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Netflix price change plans for South Africa

Netflix plans to adapt its pricing to better fit the African market.

This is according to Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos, who recently spoke at a roundtable discussion on the streaming giant's "Made in Africa, seen by the World" strategy.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
My guess is a R49 mobile only package.

Maybe basic at R89, standard at R129 and premium at R149

Okty

Expert Member
Sarandos said that a “part of account sharing is a signal of desirability” and that many were doing this not out of “unwillingness to pay, but sometimes an inability to pay”.

Not a bad attitude to have, now just getting something out there to make it easier and affordable.

walterl

Expert Member
It is so affordable that I didn't even know what I was paying per month, had to check my bank statement and I see it's R169pm.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Not a bad attitude to have, now just getting something out there to make it easier and affordable.

Its a proper business attitude... accepting that something happens, and realising why it happens. They can now work on how to possibly solve the problem, or at least convert some of the shared users into unique users.

DSTV's solution is to try punish the sharers... cos that has always worked fantastically.

grok

Honorary Master
If it's really going to be customised for SA conditions and merket, we'd better get it for free since our economy is farked.