Netflix reduces bitrate of streams in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Netflix has confirmed to MyBroadband it will reduce its streaming bitrate for South African subscribers to reduce congestion on networks.

This change has been implemented to reduce congestion on local networks as more people use Netflix due to the 21-day lockdown imposed by the government to combat the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Ken Nakamura

It's all local and cached anyways so why reduce it. Why not leave the ISPs to act if needs be. Feels like Netflix is making decisions on everyone's behalf without consent.
Some people are crying again like kindergarten children, that's why.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I have an idea:

Stop forcing 5.1 Audio by default. Set up options on the software (across the board) where you can set defaults - like 2 Channel audio and Subtitles and 720p video quality - all by default. Seriously.

system32

Expert Member
It's all local and cached anyways so why reduce it. Why not leave the ISPs to act if needs be. Feels like Netflix is making decisions on everyone's behalf without consent.
+1
Netflix/Youtube/etc have local CDN.
The problem is the "last mile"
ISP & FNO need to address the issue of over subscription of the interconnect/last mile.

system32

Expert Member
I have an idea:

Stop forcing 5.1 Audio by default. Set up options on the software (across the board) where you can set defaults - like 2 Channel audio and Subtitles and 720p video quality - all by default. Seriously.
+1
I have a stereo TV - why Netflix download 5:1?
Give users options.

I notice on NVIDIA Shield, Youtube app streams at 4K, even though I only have a 1080p TV.
Have to manually select 1080p.
Logged a call with them, not sure if it's fixed.

km2

Expert Member
While a lower bitrate usually means lower-quality videos for streaming services, Netflix said it has found a way to maintain the quality of its video streams while reducing traffic load by 25%.
:unsure:

Cool Ideas co-owner Paul Butschi said the ISP saw a big spike in Netflix usage following the initial announcement of a state of national disaster due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

“All other daytime traffic use (6:00 to 17:00) is up around 100%, which is an indication of the number of people now working from home,” Butschi added.
Hope the network is ready for all the double-speed promos.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
+1
I have a stereo TV - why Netflix download 5:1?
Give users options.

I notice on NVIDIA Shield, Youtube app streams at 4K, even though I only have a 1080p TV.
Have to manually select 1080p.
Logged a call with them, not sure if it's fixed.
Subscribe to the cheaper Netflix option. Then 4K is automatically reduced to 1080p. That's what I did, because my bedroom TV is 4K and it killed my 100GB cap in like 3 days because I never changed it over.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

Netflix has confirmed to MyBroadband it will reduce its streaming bitrate for South African subscribers to reduce congestion on networks.

This change has been implemented to reduce congestion on local networks as more people use Netflix due to the 21-day lockdown imposed by the government to combat the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
Do I also get a reduction in what I am paying? of course not.

edit

Wonder if apply tv will follow suit. There I still get 4K and better audio, at least for now.

Last edited:

McGuywer

Executive Member
In normal English, what does this mean?
I always stream on 1080p, will I now stream on 720p?

Andre

Expert Member
Checks if they've done anything already: 4k and Dobly Atmos still working.

zolly

Expert Member
Because if you speak to anyone that works at any internet infrastructure related organisation, our networks have already begun taking strain. And by our networks I mean LOCAL.

Netflix probably also looking to save on bandwidth costs, but ya, people can live with 480p for a bit. It's not going to kill anyone.