Netflix SA rand prices - Why users still pay an extra card fee

isie

Honorary Master
Netflix SA rand prices - Why users still pay an extra card fee

Netflix announced it was moving from US dollar to rand pricing in South Africa in August 2018.

The move saw the dollar-based subscription fees for Netflix change to the following prices:

• Basic – R99 pm
  • Standard – R139 pm
  • Premium – R169 pm
Ya i moved to buying vouchers because of this card fee - yes i spend R150 instead of R139 + whatever international fee the banks take - but the difference goes into cover a few days access for Netflix and not the bank taking money from me for nothing

Thor

Honorary Master
Ok, read the article... this isn't a currency conversion fee. Its an international transaction fee.

FNB is also fee-less in this instance (just checked)
Slightly off topic, if I go to the US next month and I take my Capitec card with, can I use it there for normal day to day?

What is the ideal thing to do money-wise if you are about to spend a month living in the US.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Ok, read the article... this isn't a currency conversion fee. Its an international transaction fee.

FNB is also fee-less in this instance (just checked)
Same difference. Substandard bank just renamed it when they started showing it as a separate charge probably so they can charge it on all payments outside RSA.

Swa

Honorary Master
Another proudly South African banking scam.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I don't get charged the fee? What a cheek, especially if its a VISA/Mastercard transaction.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Slightly off topic, if I go to the US next month and I take my Capitec card with, can I use it there for normal day to day?

What is the ideal thing to do money-wise if you are about to spend a month living in the US.
dunno but when i travel and stay overseas i just use my FNB credit card as per usual

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Ive canceled Netflix.
(and showmax for that matter)

Don't really watch much TV.

Diverted that money into my bond.
It's the opposite for me. Family watched Netflix but I very seldom did. Lately I've been finding loads of great stuff to watch. Can't wait for The Witcher series too.

tjma2001

When I used my Capitec card, I ended up paying less for my transactions in the US. FNB doesn't charge you per transaction but they use a premium exchange rate.

I kept asking in the bank what exchange rate they use and they kept telling me, there are no fees, we just use the exchange rate. Incredibly frustrating...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
When I used my Capitec card, I ended up paying less for my transactions in the US. FNB doesn't charge you per transaction but they use a premium exchange rate.

I kept asking in the bank what exchange rate they use and they kept telling me, there are no fees, we just use the exchange rate. Incredibly frustrating...
Except the conversion is the other way around, from ZAR to USD. Then Netflix gets paid in USD. It has no effect on you as the customer...

quovadis

Expert Member

Be confused when they swipe your magnetic card strip for most transactions and no signature, no pin ;) Other than that expect the usual premium forex rate. I've been there 5 times in past 2 years (both coasts and southern states) so drop me a PM if u have any general questions.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Same difference. Substandard bank just renamed it when they started showing it as a separate charge probably so they can charge it on all payments outside RSA.
No its very different.... and it would be interesting to see if Std Bank charge it on all cross border rand based transactions.

krycor

Honorary Master
I get charged straight value from FNB.. no extra charges but then i am on a bundled account. The transaction is originated from Amsterdam.. i think a lot of App/online based transactions have started being sourced there over the last 12-18months.

Last edited: