Netflix starts password-sharing crackdown in South Africa - without sub-account feature

zolly

Executive Member
Netflix has started cracking down on password sharing in South Africa and won’t offer the ability to add extra members to accounts at a reduced fee.

That is according to a shareholder letter that accompanied the video streaming giant’s results for the second quarter of 2023.

(Since there's no thread for this yet).

Netflix cracks down on password sharing in South Africa

Netflix has started cracking down on password sharing in South Africa and won’t offer the ability to add extra members to accounts at a reduced fee.

That is according to a shareholder letter that accompanied the video streaming giant’s results for the second quarter of 2023.

Using the same Netflix account while travelling​

Netflix has argued that widespread sharing undermined its ability to invest in new movies and TV shows, and build its business.

It should be emphasised that users residing within the same household can still use the same Netflix account while travelling.

To do so, users with “trusted” devices must connect to the same Internet connection that the primary household uses for Netflix and stream some content at least once every 31 days.

Untrusted devices that log into the Netflix account will need to enter a code sent to the account holder.

They can then use Netflix for seven days before being prompted for a new code.

Reports suggest that subscribers can only request two codes per month, which means untrusted devices will only be able to stream up to 14 days in a month.
:thumbsdown:

I pretty much just have Netflix because someone else uses it.

Well, that means I cancel netflix. Was sharing with someone but hardly used it anymore.
Same here.. I let my parents use my account on their TV, but I seldom ever watch Netflix myself. To be honest, I don't think they use it very much either.

Should probably cancel it in any case given that it's mostly junk, but this will definitely be sufficient cause for me to finally cancel.

Back