Netflix thinks anime will help it beat Disney and Apple

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Netflix thinks anime will help it beat Disney and Apple

As Netflix Inc. prepares for a bruising battle against the Walt Disney Co. and Apple Inc. for streaming subscribers, it’s playing a card that may deliver enough of an edge to fend them off in Asia: Japanese anime.

Although Netflix has featured animation for years, the leading streaming provider of 158 million users is stepping up its anime efforts as new rivals such as Apple, Disney and WarnerMedia’s HBO Max roll out their services. [Bloomberg]

C4Cat

Executive Member
Amazon Prime Video is already doing this. They have a great collection of anime

Symphonized

YES!

Bring it on. Let's just hope that the content would be available in RSA and a VPN would not be required to watch the content.

somnambulist

Amazon Prime Video is already doing this. They have a great collection of anime
Amazon tired and it failed with it's Anime Strike OTT service on Prime and then cancelled it rolled all that content into Prime Video. It remains to be seen if they will keep the content updated.
Warner Media own's Crunchyroll and it's content will therefore be on HBO Max.
Most of the rest of world wide streaming rights are bought up by either Crunchyroll or Funimation.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Doubt they can compete with Disney's catalogue of cartoon.

Suspect99

Executive Member
I haven't really enjoyed the netflix original animes I've seen so far. ( I havent watched many) . Any chance of them getting the very popular ones? (MHA, demon slayer, Attack on Titan?) One punch man season 1 is on there so thats good.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Will they have original audio with subtitles available?
Dubbed Anime is terrible.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I suppose it's a smart move. I personally think anime is a weird load of garbage, but I know a lot of people who seem to dig it. And it's not like Netflix is going to beat Disney at regular animated content.

If it's more like Love, Death & Robots, hell yes. Loved that series.

Splinter

Honorary Master
yes pls, ive been enjoying some stuff they show atm.
Me too. Actually watched a couple of movies that were pretty awesome. Can't remember their names though.

And a couple of series. For some reason I loved One Punch Man or something to that effect.

Splinter

Honorary Master
If it's more like Love, Death & Robots, hell yes. Loved that series.
This was brilliant. I'll try and find the other couple of movies I watched that you may enjoy as well then.