Netflix unveils first South African original series

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I wonder if they will attempt to make it appeal to a wider audience than South Africans?

Think about it - Netflix is investing in this series, but they get more for their money if people in America can watch and understand it too. I don't mean in terms of the language used, but rather the cultural references that Americans might not understand.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I did work as an extra many years ago when I had no permanent work.

It's a great way to make some money if you have flexible hours and need more income. down side was that for 3 months of the year you get called up as much as 4 times a week. Rest of the year there is nothing.

This is very good for the industry and can provide an alternative income for many people who are without work if more serials are commissioned.

The people who see this as a bad thing are very short sighted and need to get over it really.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Might be good, will watch it and go from there. Pearl was decent in Quantico.

eg2505

Honorary Master
all I want is fauda to be available locally.

anything else is just a joke compared to that.

Markd

I'm excited to see how a local production will look and sound with a powerhouse like Netflix behind the production. Face it, most of what DStv has produced for the local market has been inferior rip-offs of shows from other parts of the world, survivor, idols, bake off etc. This sounds really original and supports local industry, and with good production, it's something we should all get behind.