Netflix versus Showmax in SA —pricing showdown

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

3WA

Honorary Master
YouTube premium for?

Youtube Premium is a no-brainer! It comes with free music on Youtube Music, and it's bloody nice to not have the ads. Of all these services, YT Premium is the only one that I think is worth it. The rest I buy for others in the household.

Some people get even better deals on Premium by setting their VPNs to the most economically-screwed places on earth.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Youtube Premium is a no-brainer! It comes with free music on Youtube Music, and it's bloody nice to not have the ads. Of all these services, YT Premium is the only one that I think is worth it. The rest I buy for others in the household.

Some people get even better deals on Premium by setting their VPNs to the most economically-screwed places on earth.
Thanks - never really considered paying for Youtube. Still not planning to, I basically use it for watching Netflix trailers and when the dipstick addresses the country, but maybe if I can bin Spotify it might be worth it.

Joseph matane

Least vodacom has Showmax and Amazon Prime video streaming data bundles which lower the data cost, Netflix keeps on cancelling MNO partner and in Africa MNO are key players because we are mobile first continent if Netflix is serious they have to partner with the likes of MTN and Vodacom since they now have mobile plan most people in SA don't have FTTH or unlimited data plan look at MTN and Vodacom financial statements prepaid activate subscribers dominate market so if you can't respect this players you will remain middle and upper class vod only

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce

Well hey, upside is, one of these days you won't even need a VPN to cash in on that.

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA

JohnMao

Executive Member

Well, no it doesn't. It's included in the price of YouTube Premium.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ewww gross.
I've set our streaming services to 720p because we don't have enough bandwidth to go around. Not that is any excuse for them not accommodating people who want higher resolutions.

JohnMao

Executive Member
Got Netflix Standard & Britbox. Got family access to Showmax but it's definitely not something I'd pay for.
Disney+ with sports for us next year and we are sorted.

noxibox

Honorary Master
How can Showmax still be limited to 720p? Are they also still only streaming stereo audio, i.e. the old Dolby surround instead of 5.1?

We also had regular buffering problems which they kept trying to blame our internet connection, but Netflix never had a single problem on the same connection.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
They also say.

Showmax on DStv Explora allows you to stream content in either SD or HD resolution. SD content is 576i, (633MB per hour) while HD content is 1080i (2.2GB per hour).

1080i has a resolution of 1920 pixels by 1080 horizontal lines. However, it is interlaced, meaning the lines are painted on the screen in two passes of 540 lines each. The picture quality is sufficient for slow-moving content but not as desirable for fast-moving objects. 1080i was once the standard for HDTVs. That's no longer the case. Its quality isn't much better than a 720p TV.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
We also had regular buffering problems which they kept trying to blame our internet connection, but Netflix never had a single problem on the same connection.
I gave up on Showmax ages ago. It always took forever to buffer when try to watch something (even on Fibre line). I literally think someone at Showmax gets up and loads a DVD each time someone watches something.

And then their app for my TV had the most horrible interface known to man.