Netflix versus Showmax in SA —pricing showdown

Itsa Trap

Expert Member
I gave up on Showmax ages ago. It always took forever to buffer when try to watch something (even on Fibre line). I literally think someone at Showmax gets up and loads a DVD each time someone watches something.

And then their app for my TV had the most horrible interface known to man.
Showmax should rebrand to ShowWithMaximumBuffering

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
YouTube premium for?

They offered me a 3 month free trial and I couldn't go back

It's the little things. Ad free is great and when you go back you realise how intrusive they are. I also watch long videos on my phone and like to listen in the background while I use Whatsapp, Facebook etc.

epah

Expert Member
Youtube Premium is a no-brainer! It comes with free music on Youtube Music, and it's bloody nice to not have the ads. Of all these services, YT Premium is the only one that I think is worth it. The rest I buy for others in the household.

Some people get even better deals on Premium by setting their VPNs to the most economically-screwed places on earth.

But isn’t YouTube music just plain old stereo music without all that fancy Dolby audio /truehd etc? Or you just don’t care

epah

Expert Member
Got Netflix Standard & Britbox. Got family access to Showmax but it's definitely not something I'd pay for.
Disney+ with sports for us next year and we are sorted.

I have had Showmax for 2 years now and till today I still haven’t found anything to watch on it, luckily I don’t pay for it.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I have had Showmax for 2 years now and till today I still haven’t found anything to watch on it, luckily I don’t pay for it.

Succession. And there are lot's of other great HBO series as well.

I find Netflix and Showmax both play smoothly without buffering on my TV, set also to 720p becasue my Samsung OLED TV is too dark to see anything at 4k.

Jefferson D'Arcy

The local Prime offering is not worth a damn. You don't get free/expedited delivery and the content is 80% Bollywood shoit.

Showmax have a pretty good catalogue with tons of Tier 1 HBO stuff. However, more and more wokist horseshit in creeping in, the resolution is poor, sound is dire and the Samsung implementation is bar none the worst television app I have ever experienced. I may write at length on how bad the app is when time allows.

Netflix is very, very patchy these days. All about 'the message'.

Agree on the YouTube Premium sentiment made earlier, ad free is life changing and if you know where to look the quality of documentaries, especially historical stuff puts the BBC to shame.

epah

Expert Member
Succession. And there are lot's of other great HBO series as well.

I find Netflix and Showmax both play smoothly without buffering on my TV, set also to 720p becasue my Samsung OLED TV is too dark to see anything at 4k.

Lemme open the app now and browse, maybe content has changed since I last opened it. Also didn’t know Samsung made OLEDS

epah

Expert Member
Lemme open the app now and browse, maybe content has changed since I last opened it. Also didn’t know Samsung made OLEDS

Okay went through it, the only thing I can watch on Showmax is Big little lies. I love that series. But the quality is terrible so I am out.