Netflix vs Amazon Prime Video - the best international streaming service in South Africa

PAYBACK

Expert Member
"According to JustWatch figures from 2 August 2021, Netflix had a total of 5,526 titles, including 3,557 movies and 1,969 TV shows."" what Netflix is this you speak of. Certainly not the Netflix I pay for.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Wish one could cut out all these Bollywood crap!!

Its a feature I wish both services would have actually...

The ability to toggle all foreign/foreign language titles on or off...

Its less of an issue with Netflix, but it was one of the reasons I canned Prime eventually, the lists are just choked out by all the Bollywood crap I have no interest in at all.

Beri

Expert Member
Amazon prime is cr@p. But I do get free delivery so I keep it. Saved me a fortune already.

entrepr

Expert Member
Amazon will indicate that it has the slightest interest in South African customers when it stops advertising titles that give a very user-unfriendly geo error when you click on them

acidrain

Executive Member
Signed up for the Prime trial. Did not carry on. Other than the Amazon originals (and even those aren't that good), everything else is like 5 years old.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Titles aside, the Amazon app really is crap compared to Netflix. It's slow, clunky and the forward/rewind is not as quick...

cpu.

Executive Member
Titles aside, the Amazon app really is crap compared to Netflix. It's slow, clunky and the forward/rewind is not as quick...
And casting sometimes need 2 or 3 attempts to get a connection, unlike Netflix and Youtube that works perfectly.

Unreal

I think you’re right, it’s the app that lets it down.
I found some really good stuff on there. I use justwatch, that way I unearth all the gems. I actually prefer prime video over Netflix these days

Corelli

Expert Member
Amazon may have a bigger catalogue, but most of the good stuff, isnt available for SA

So the only ones I like
Netflix
Showmax
Viki Rakutten

Lupus

Honorary Master
Prime has a lot of older stuff, but daaamn why can't they filter out all the Bollywood stuff I mean like 90% of my searches is that

SilverCode

According to JustWatch figures from 2 August 2021, Netflix had a total of 5,526 titles, including 3,557 movies and 1,969 TV shows.

Prime Video’s library was almost double that size at 7,864, comprising 6,798 movies and 1,066 TV shows.
And both of them just keep showing me the same 20 things that I have already either watched other ways, or I have no interest in watching. I swear if I had to guess based on what shows up on my home screen, I would say Netflix only has about 100 different movies and series, and Amazon has 50.

They need to have a "chaos mode" where it ignores what it thinks you like, and what is popular, and just gives you a completely random list of 100 movies or series with a proper synopsis and trailer that is quick and easy to see.