Netflix, YouTube and Amazon cut streaming quality to ease strained networks

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Netflix, YouTube and Amazon cut streaming quality to ease strained networks

Amazon.com Inc., Netflix Inc. and YouTube are reducing the quality of their video streams across Europe to ensure networks can handle increased usage amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The moves follow discussions between European Industry Commissioner Thierry Breton and Netflix Chief Executive Officer Reed Hastings, and with Alphabet Inc. CEO Sundar Pichai and YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki.

The three companies, along with Facebook Inc., Microsoft Corp. and Apple Inc., use more than 43% of all traffic volume on the internet, according to Sandvine, a network analysis firm.

[Bloomberg]

Shadow07

My ISP has told me the reason I'm having packet loss and high latency in games is due to this, how true this could be I don't know.

Emjay

Honorary Master
My ISP has told me the reason I'm having packet loss and high latency in games is due to this, how true this could be I don't know.

It's very likely. Streaming is well over 60% of traffic on an ISP's network. With everyone staying indoors and working from home, there will be a big increase on these networks.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So EU is cutting streaming quality and SA fibre providers are doubling line speeds for free. :)

Shadow07

Using a wireless provider but I know they running through Afrihost, can also see on the trace route.