Netherlands to close prisons for lack of criminals

d0b33

Honorary Master
The Dutch justice ministry has announced it will close eight prisons and cut 1,200 jobs in the prison system. A decline in crime has left many cells empty.

During the 1990s the Netherlands faced a shortage of prison cells, but a decline in crime has since led to overcapacity in the prison system. The country now has capacity for 14,000 prisoners but only 12,000 detainees.

Deputy justice minister Nebahat Albayrak announced on Tuesday that eight prisons will be closed, resulting in the loss of 1,200 jobs. Natural redundancy and other measures should prevent any forced lay-offs, the minister said.

The overcapacity is a result of the declining crime rate, which the ministry's research department expects to continue for some time.
http://www.nrc.nl/international/art...rlands_to_close_prisons_for_lack_of_criminals

Devill

Damned

Lol, puff the magic dragon :D :p

No seriously I think if I ever had to read this headline with SA's name instead of "Netherlands" I would die of a heart attack.

Fuma

Executive Member
Legalize weed in SA, then some jails would be empty.

grayston

Expert Member
why can't we ship some of our criminals over there?

That's what Belgium is about to do.

But as usual there's two sides to every story, and the Dutch Department of Justice is now being blamed for its inability to prosecute criminals.

Alan

Honorary Master
Legalize weed in SA, then some jails would be empty.

Are they not starting to clamp down on weed users in the Netherlands?. But yeah legalize everything and you won't have any criminals duh

Tweak

Expert Member
we should sell our criminals to the netherlands as slaves. They can re-habilitate them and then they have to work off their debt to the Netherlands in the next 10 years.

Slaves was a strong word to use but having tax payers foot the bill for Prisons is not the way to go. Prisoners need to pay their own way.

Currently I doubt theres anything rehabilitating in our 'correctional facilities'.

Like Steven King wrote in that novel, ShawShank Redemption; when people spend most of their lives in a cage, it would have turned them into institutionalised people.

The outside world scaring them even more than the prison does our society.

wrathex

Expert Member
Why thousands of strong able men are sitting in prisons is beyond imagination.

They should be working; fixing roads, constructing community buildings, hell man, have some vision and train them as space construction workers, welders, fitters and turners, electricians, let the hardcore murderers be the expendable labour we need to start constructing the first moonbase.

Prisoners could have been considered a valuable asset, but instead they're a pox to the taxpayer. FAIL

As long as prisoners are coddled, crime will remain a lucrative choice for those who seek instant wealth.

DJ...

Banned
Are they not starting to clamp down on weed users in the Netherlands?. But yeah legalize everything and you won't have any criminals duh

Legalising prostitution and soft-drugs clearly hasn't caused an upsurge in more serious crimes - quite the opposite in fact...

sox63

Executive Member

They should be working; fixing roads, constructing community buildings, hell man, have some vision and train them as space construction workers, welders, fitters and turners, electricians, let the hardcore murderers be the expendable labour we need to start constructing the first moonbase.

Prisoners could have been considered a valuable asset, but instead they're a pox to the taxpayer. FAIL

As long as prisoners are coddled, crime will remain a lucrative choice for those who seek instant wealth.

I dont think I'm comfortable with the idea of hardened convicts being at a construction site around the corner from where I live. ;)

I think the issue would be safety. Does America still have their "chain gang" system?

Albereth

Honorary Master

For some reason it is considered unconstitutional. I wonder if anyone asked the prisoners if they'd want to participate? Surely working is preferable to the boredom of sitting in a cell all day?

I'd make it all voluntary of course: "20 year sentence in a cell, or 15 years working? Your call."

R13...

Honorary Master
For some reason it is considered unconstitutional. I wonder if anyone asked the prisoners if they'd want to participate? Surely working is preferable to the boredom of sitting in a cell all day?

I'd make it all voluntary of course: "20 year sentence in a cell, or 15 years working? Your call."
they would prefer work with pay the same as ordinary workers.
and on top of that they'd join POPCRU and start striking. in this country it would'nt work, our jail birds have the same rights as us law abiding citizenry bar the right to freedom of movement for the duration of the prison term.

Albereth

Honorary Master
they would prefer work with pay the same as ordinary workers.
and on top of that they'd join POPCRU and start striking. in this country it would'nt work, our jail birds have the same rights as us law abiding citizenry bar the right to freedom of movement for the duration of the prison term.

If that's what they'd prefer then they can rot.

zippy

Honorary Master

The reason they are there in the first place is because they prefer to get cash by means other than fixing roads, constructing community buildings etc....

Alan

Honorary Master

The [-]human[/-] criminal rights loones will have a fit :eek:

Legalising prostitution and soft-drugs clearly hasn't caused an upsurge in more serious crimes - quite the opposite in fact...

If they are trying to clamp down then, why is that the case?

I dont think I'm comfortable with the idea of hardened convicts being at a construction site around the corner from where I live. ;)

I think the issue would be safety. Does America still have their "chain gang" system?

Like I said earlier the [-]human[/-] criminal rights lunatics, after recovering from the nervous breakdown caused by the poor victims of society having to actually work for a living, would suffer a serious relapse if a guard were to shoot a poor child molester as he'd tried to escape from said construction site :rolleyes: