Networking a CCTV DVR to store recorded footage on central Server?

GipsyD

So let me explain this as best I can....

Very recently, one of our Durban branches was broken into. Now this has scared the living daylights out of the top brass, and have now made security around all branches the number one priority. This order comes straight from my CEO.

Now we have opted for some of the state of the art CCTV equipment (or so I am told), but diving deeper into this equipment, I realize that the DVR record their footage at 4K 60Hz. Now this raises alarm bells for me, as 4K files can grow in size very quickly, which can take up large amounts of space very quickly. I don't want to go and spend a small fortune on Hard Drives now, especially for the high capacity drives from Seagate and Western Digital, I'm talking 6TB onwards for storage alone.

As far as I know, the DVR does not have any IP Cameras, so I would like to assume that the DVR would be using normal, conventional HD Cameras.

Now, we have a central server that is under lock and key, this server having large capacity Hard Drives already installed, as well as a NAS already added to the network with even more high capacity Hard Drives installed. Now I think it would be better to have all of our CCTV footage stored on these Hard Drives, rather than on the DVR itself, mainly for increased security reasons.

Would it be possible to network the CCTV DVR to a central server purely for storing recorded footage?

SAguy

Expert Member
Answer is, it depends.

Depends on what DVR you have. I have a relatively inexpensive HikVision DVR at home that is connected to the network.

The DVR has a build in HD but also has the ability to store on a NAS or share. I haven't configured it yet, but the option is there.

What DVR do you have?

GipsyD

Answer is, it depends.

Depends on what DVR you have. I have a relatively inexpensive HikVision DVR at home that is connected to the network.

The DVR has a build in HD but also has the ability to store on a NAS or share. I haven't configured it yet, but the option is there.

What DVR do you have?
A ET Electronics DVR at the moment