Never knew you kept paying for handset after upgrade..

johnnysims

Okay so maybe I'm just stupid but after it was officially my upgrade time I got a new phone, and lets say the "price" is R449. Your new subscription. All of a sudden my bill jumps up with a few hundred.

So what it seems is Vodacom is charging the new contract, plus what seems to be the old phone. I was just surprised but then again I don't know Vodacom contracts well.

When I was on MTN my subscription changed to the new amount after the upgrade. Maybe that isn't so anymore. Just wanted to hear inputs from other people who know contracts well and if it's the normal thing.

Guessing they stop the extra subscription when the old contract completely expires.:confused:

Debeer165

Expert Member
Sounds like general Vodacom billing incompetence. I still get billed for my contract which was prematurely cancelled in February (which also took over a month to process), and they fought me on trying to add the cancellation charge twice for some reason.

Go to an outlet, find a competent staff member and prepare to sit down for a while, don't leave until you are sorted.

Viva

Expert Member
Here's my guess. Vodacom, like all other operators, allows the customer to upgrade before the current contract is done. So if you upgrade on month 22, you'll be paying for both phones (new and old) in month 23 and 24. Then you'll just pay for the new phone in month 25.

Is this the way it works? If not, how does it work?

Debeer165

Expert Member
Found this is the T&C, might explain some of your issues.

https://myvodacom.secure.vodacom.co.za/personal/main/termsandconditions/contracttermsandconditions
- The upgrade date is only effective upon receipt or delivery of the goods/equipment and the package migration is only effective on the first day of the next calendar month.
- Vodacom reserves the right to charge an administrative fee of R150 for all upgrades done online. The aforementioned administrative fee shall form part of the charges in your first invoice following the upgrade.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You took the contract and were paying the device off over a period of 24 months.

droidx

Expert Member
With my last mtn contact upgrade, which was over 2 years back, I was only charged the price of the new contract in the month following my upgrade. This was true for all my previous upgrades as well also with mtn. I've since moved over to prepaid so don't know how they deal with it now.

geezer

Expert Member
Here's my guess. Vodacom, like all other operators, allows the customer to upgrade before the current contract is done. So if you upgrade on month 22, you'll be paying for both phones (new and old) in month 23 and 24. Then you'll just pay for the new phone in month 25.

This is how I understand it as well.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
With my last mtn contact upgrade, which was over 2 years back, I was only charged the price of the new contract in the month following my upgrade. This was true for all my previous upgrades as well also with mtn. I've since moved over to prepaid so don't know how they deal with it now.
That's still the case. I was charged the new contract rate plus a R150 upgrade fee when I upgraded last month.

hellfire

Honorary Master

Nope, new replaces the old. They do it to lock you in for another 2 years

isie

Honorary Master
Okay so maybe I'm just stupid but after it was officially my upgrade time I got a new phone, and lets say the "price" is R449. Your new subscription. All of a sudden my bill jumps up with a few hundred.

So what it seems is Vodacom is charging the new contract, plus what seems to be the old phone. I was just surprised but then again I don't know Vodacom contracts well.

When I was on MTN my subscription changed to the new amount after the upgrade. Maybe that isn't so anymore. Just wanted to hear inputs from other people who know contracts well and if it's the normal thing.

Guessing they stop the extra subscription when the old contract completely expires.:confused:

they supposed to stop the old handset payment and replace it with the new one.
However they can and do mess up with billing.
My wife did her upgrade and they double billed her for the Handset charge when we called to uery they claimed it was for the old handset, claiming early upgrade - which they quickly shut up about when we pointed out that - we didnt upgrade early and -the old handset charge was not the same amount as the new one. upgrade department confimred this is increect and they double billed us in error
Now we waiting for a refund. which of course they happy to take their tiem to do!
I did a google search and found a few similar complaints on hello peter

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yes that's how it used to work in the old days, but if you take a look at the contracts now you will plainly see where it says R99 for contract and R200 for device. You are paying in for the device and you will continue to pay for the device until the 24 months are up it's a separate fee to the contracts.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yes that's how it used to work in the old days, but if you take a look at the contracts now you will plainly see where it says R99 for contract and R200 for device. You are paying in for the device and you will continue to pay for the device until the 24 months are up it's a separate fee to the contracts.

This is simply not true for Cellc atleast. When I upgraded I just got billed the new contract price per month. Obviouslly if I upgraded in the middle of the month there will be a prorata rate and then 1 months sub. They explain that.

The ONLY service provider I know of that bills as you said now is Nashua Mobile. I NEVER so it with MTN SP or Cellc SP.

Brawler

Honorary Master
This is simply not true for Cellc atleast. When I upgraded I just got billed the new contract price per month. Obviouslly if I upgraded in the middle of the month there will be a prorata rate and then 1 months sub. They explain that.

The ONLY service provider I know of that bills as you said now is Nashua Mobile. I NEVER so it with MTN SP or Cellc SP.

Yup I agree. Last time I got an upgrade on month 22 the last two months fell away and I paid the new amount only.

I think it's a benefit they give you to try and retain you as it's so easy to port now to someone else for a better deal.

johnnysims

Yup I agree. Last time I got an upgrade on month 22 the last two months fell away and I paid the new amount only.

I think it's a benefit they give you to try and retain you as it's so easy to port now to someone else for a better deal.

Yes that is what I understood, mtn and cell C start charging the new rate when you are due for an upgrade. Even if it's month 22, it was them that told you it's time to upgrade.

So I was shocked that after I did a legit upgrade on Vodacom, my rate wasn't R449 as per the new package per month but R645.

I can understand if you perhaps do early upgrade in month 19 and you do a pay in for the phone or continue paying for the old phone for a few months.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yes that is what I understood, mtn and cell C start charging the new rate when you are due for an upgrade. Even if it's month 22, it was them that told you it's time to upgrade.

So I was shocked that after I did a legit upgrade on Vodacom, my rate wasn't R449 as per the new package per month but R645.

I can understand if you perhaps do early upgrade in month 19 and you do a pay in for the phone or continue paying for the old phone for a few months.

Yeah it just does not sound right hey. I got called by Cellc the 2nd day into month 22 informing me I can upgrade and they will be very happy to upgrade me over the phone and the deliver the phone to me. I did and my iphone 5 was in my hands 3 days later and I only paid the new monthly fee + prorata amount for the first monthe and after that I just got debited the new contract sub.

Vodacom screwed something up there I think.

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
The way I thought it works on Vodacon is thus:

If you upgrade your 24 month contract during month 20, your new contract starts on month 21 and continues for 24 months plus the remaining 4 months of the original contract. So the old rate falls away and you'll pay the new rate for the next 28 months. You shouldn't have to pay for both at the same time, even the headset subsidy.

hellfire

Honorary Master
The way I thought it works on Vodacon is thus:

If you upgrade your 24 month contract during month 20, your new contract starts on month 21 and continues for 24 months plus the remaining 4 months of the original contract. So the old rate falls away and you'll pay the new rate for the next 28 months. You shouldn't have to pay for both at the same time, even the headset subsidy.

Nope. You 'win' on the three months. Your new contract is only 24 months

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
You can upgrade in month 21 of 24. Its not deemed an early upgrade. When you signed up initially, they charged you a pro rata fee. Once you upgrade, the new contract kicks in, and the old one falls away and you shouldnt still be charged for that

10i

Expert Member
I asked a few people who work for cell phone companies and nobody had ever heard of this being the general way things work.

Billing issue, imho