New ADSL prices: ISPs comment on their plans

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The ~R10 increase is minimal. What we care about is the uncapped rates!

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
The ~R10 increase is minimal. What we care about is the uncapped rates!
Uncapped is likely going to remain the same - perhaps till the end of the year, I think.
It's also gonna depend on Telkom's wholesale pricing.

For the major players that are involved with WACS: They're not looking to drop prices soon, as they need ROI on their new toy.
Also international bandwidth is cheap as it is.
Its the local bandwidth, IPC and local peering which is the fiasco.

ISP's that have their own networks already absorb a great portion of the costs and are on small margins as it is; as explained by Rubert Bryant of Webafrica in this article earlier this year: The truth about ADSL costs in SA.

francoislr

Expert Member
Just started my Cybersmart uncapped. Was on Axxess uncapped for a month and a half. So far I can understand why Cybersmart is keeping their prices the same...It's kinda slow. I have heard a lot of bad things about Axxess, but I seriously abused that connection, and it was smooth the whole time of usage, except during the work day, which did not really matter. So yeah, maybe time to cancel the data portion of my Cybersmart.

Rands

Expert Member
WTF, and I was lead to believe that all these new cables to SA was going to result in a decrease of cost and an increase in speed. We've seen none of that,

J_S

WTF, and I was lead to believe that all these new cables to SA was going to result in a decrease of cost and an increase in speed. We've seen none of that,
Can only reduce it to a degree. The major cost now revolves around the national backbone not the international access.

superskully

Expert Member
Just cancelled all my lines.
No reason why i should pay R500 for 6-8 gigs.
8ta, here i come.

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
I do not understand Telkom. They talk about bringing affordable and fast broadband to South Africa, yet they are hiking up their ADSL Line prices.

It's like Telkom does the opposite of what really must happen: No Naked ADSL, instead increase prices of their services.

I would not mind another fixed Line operator settling in SA, which will have its own network and has nothing to do with Telkom, but knowing our Government, they will block this.

werny

Expert Member
Nah, I wont cancel my lines just yet, I use about 50GB per month on my 384kbps line, when the upgrade to 1Mbps happens then I will push it even harder.

So +-R500 is not too bad.

I wanted to use the 8ta deals but their coverage sucks and the speeds are sh?t.

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
Really? Moan moan moan moan? R13 increase for 3 times the speed, and now it is suddenly to expensive? I am sure you should have expected a little price increase.

MickZA

Executive Member
I would not mind another fixed Line operator settling in SA, which will have its own network and has nothing to do with Telkom, but knowing our Government, they will block this.
Neotel is already here but they're not interested in the run of the mill residential user because there's no money in it for them.

snugglez64

])ragon_\/oid;8508653 said:
Really? Moan moan moan moan? R13 increase for 3 times the speed, and now it is suddenly to expensive? I am sure you should have expected a little price increase.

The thing is we ARE already being raped sideways on ADSL. Big whoop! 3x the speed .. pffft! what is that now.. 1mb! Really!? And you paying how much??

Think about it...

praetor360

agreed snugglez... they can do a helluva lot more if we consider overseas standards on ADSL and broadband. our infrastructure may be a bottleneck but at least use the price increase to upgrade the infrastructure... not to line your damned pockets HELKOM

moondoggie86

Not really excited about the upgrades. I'm currently on a 1Mbps line that cannot sync properly even on 512kbps. So basically I'm going to pay R10 extra for them to upgrade my line which in turn will cause even more unstability causing Telkom to downgrade me back to 1Mbps to have a semi-working DSL connection.

I am going to cancel my debit order details and make a best-effort payment from now on...rat bastards.

grok

Honorary Master
])ragon_\/oid;8508653 said:
People're not complaining about it being a lot of money, but the principle is prices should be coming down not going up.

With that attitude you must work either for Telkom or government.

Cicero

Expert Member
Ah come on guys, really?! You buy a 2l coke and you've spent more than the 'drastic' price increases. Jeepers, such huge speed increases for hardly any more cash. You guys must really be on a shoe string budget.

The only people who can complain are the 4mbps guys, where they will see no speed increase for the money. Okes on 1mb lines are scoring BIG time! If you're happy with 1mbps, then just downgrade from 2mbps to 1mbps and save yourself over R100!!
Otherwise double the speed for R10-20 more, holy crap!

PS: I work for a private tech company in no way associated with Telkom, I just want faster interwebs!

MickZA

Executive Member
What amazes me is that the whiners will expect an salary increase this year (assuming they're employed) and won't give a damn if their employers increase their prices to fund it.

If Telkom's so profitable how come the Koreans weren't prepared to up their offer for a stake in them and MWeb aren't making an offer despite Multichoice's cash?

F1 Fan

Expert Member
I think people are being a little unreasonable. Telkom made a mistake by anouncing they would b bumping up everyone and secretly increase the price as well. So yes, that was stupid.

But if you had, 2months ago, asked if I would be willing to upgrade my line from a 384 to a 1meg for R10 extra, I would have taken it with open arms. So I think we should be partially grateful, cause we are benefiting.

I am in no way defending Telkom though, I dont see how increasing line rental costs alows more accessiblity to ADSL