New Afrihost smartphone deals – free mobile data for a year

saor

Honorary Master
Pricing is a bit higher than I expected, the Redmi Pro 2 8GB is R1399 on Takealot and they want R1799 which is just about the price of a 16GB model
Strange how the lower-end phones + data aren't really a deal at all. It's only with the higher end phones (like the Mi5 + 2GB) where you start benefiting.

Redmi Pro 2 8GB is R1399 on Takealot
+
500mb @ R29p/m * 12 = R348 from Afrihost
TOTAL = R1747

That's still cheaper than the R1,799 price from Afrihost. Not by much, but still - you'd expect a partnership between a phone company and a data company to offer slightly more competitive pricing.

saor

Honorary Master
Rather uneventful launch as well.
Was expecting a Black Friday Comes Early launch promo or something like that. In the past they've done a first 1000 at a great price thing.

MickZA

Executive Member
The Note 2 comes in at a 10% discount on Takealots price (R2,699) if you take the free data out of the equation, guess I'll hold thumbs for a Black Friday deal somewhere.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Rather uneventful launch as well.
Was expecting a Black Friday Comes Early launch promo or something like that. In the past they've done a first 1000 at a great price thing.
Sorry you feel that way. This is a little different to other launches in the past, as in the past we've been able to secure a consignment at a great price. Our pricing is still very competitive, when you consider the data value, and hopefully we can also add more value along the way :)

Chingha

Expert Member
Sorry you feel that way. This is a little different to other launches in the past, as in the past we've been able to secure a consignment at a great price. Our pricing is still very competitive, when you consider the data value, and hopefully we can also add more value along the way :)
The issue of course is this approach doesn't do much for your existing clients who have the data/voice setup from you and are happy with it.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
The issue of course is this approach doesn't do much for your existing clients who have the data/voice setup from you and are happy with it.
I think it's actually great for them becuase they can get the extra data with a dual sim capability, so no merging of accounts or data necessary. When the year is over, you can either add a new data only account or just stick to your voice/data plan :)

JimM

Expert Member
I'd look at Hisense devices for budget devices with some quality. Plus spares availability is fine with Hisense, I can't say the same Xiaomi devices...

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
I'd look at Hisense devices for budget devices with some quality. Plus spares availability is fine with Hisense, I can't say the same Xiaomi devices...
There is an official distributor for Xiaomi in South Africa - Mobile in Africa - so the after-sales support will be pretty good. :)

Neo_X

Expert Member
very nice incentive afrihost (as long as "phone" pricing is cheaper than getting the phone and data separately.

Redmii Note 3 Pro owner here, and very happy. Only thing i would like to mention, not sure if all models is the same, but, DUAL sim is only available if you dont utilize a Micro SD card ( eg one sim + memory, or one sim + data sim).

yes there is hacks that will allow installing all three items in the tray, but not factory spec's.

wtg

Would have been nice to see an option for the MI 5 with 1gb data per month for 24 months.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
very nice incentive afrihost (as long as "phone" pricing is cheaper than getting the phone and data separately.

Redmii Note 3 Pro owner here, and very happy. Only thing i would like to mention, not sure if all models is the same, but, DUAL sim is only available if you dont utilize a Micro SD card ( eg one sim + memory, or one sim + data sim).

yes there is hacks that will allow installing all three items in the tray, but not factory spec's.
Thanks! :)

Xiaomi is definitely one of the cooler up and coming Smartphone manufacturers! I'm holding thumbs I'll be able to see one of the Mi Mix in person!

What has your impression of MIUI been? :)

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Would have been nice to see an option for the MI 5 with 1gb data per month for 24 months.
The extra data didn't affect the price-point much, so we opted for the larger Data Bundle. :)