New all day Unlimited 4G R479

Migael69

I think it genuinely depends on your use cases. All the Fixed-LTE packages simply won't suffice since I use ~1Tb per month. If this new product holds up then I'll take it and cancel my WISP. Currently paying R650 for 6Mbps.

Hi, for interest sake, how does the WISP 6mbps hold up? Is it consistent and able to stream HD, game, p2p, etc more reliably than Rain?

Prim0

Hi, for interest sake, how does the WISP 6mbps hold up? Is it consistent and able to stream HD, game, p2p, etc more reliably than Rain?
It's OK. We had serious issues for the first 2 years or so, constant calls etc until finally someone came out and sorted things out. I'm able to get my speed 24/7, stream Netflix and YT easily. Gaming is also fine with local pings mostly around 20 - 30ms.

almorgs

I tried using Express VPN and didn't notice any change in my line speed. Still capped at 720 and fast.com indicates 1mbps line.

Stoycho

I'm thinking of trying the R479 package. Just got a few questions. How does the throttle work? On Youtube i can obviously select 360p but what about Netflix or a private stream delivering only 1080p. Will it completely cut out or does it work fine it will just lower the quality itself somehow? What about gaming platforms like Steam/Epic/Uplay. Does it cut the speeds there? It says that torrents are throttled but how much speed can I expect?

Crumbl0x

I'm thinking of trying the R479 package. Just got a few questions. How does the throttle work? On Youtube i can obviously select 360p but what about Netflix or a private stream delivering only 1080p. Will it completely cut out or does it work fine it will just lower the quality itself somehow? What about gaming platforms like Steam/Epic/Uplay. Does it cut the speeds there? It says that torrents are throttled but how much speed can I expect?
domains related to popular streaming services are throttled to around 1mbps so it forces 360p/480p most of the time but can be bypassed with numerous methods you can read about in this thread, Netflix and such not too sure about, but it would probably buffer for too long or kick down otherwise. Torrents are throttled on almost all packages as well but can be bypassed, and direct downloads / gaming services are full speed for now.

Cactus

domains related to popular streaming services are throttled to around 1mbps so it forces 360p/480p most of the time but can be bypassed with numerous methods you can read about in this thread, Netflix and such not too sure about, but it would probably buffer for too long or kick down otherwise. Torrents are throttled on almost all packages as well but can be bypassed, and direct downloads / gaming services are full speed for now.
I like Rain's new network management. I gave the R250 package a shot again after almost a year. I was pleasantly surprised. Previously I could barely get 2Mbit out of it, this morning, speed test showed 18 down and 19 up - on a B315.

Youtube seems to be throttled to 3Mbit, but it doesn't matter as I'm using this for Steam/Epic exclusively. As you said, downloads are full speed. Managed to get 28GB done of a 52GB game yesterday :)

Dretastic06

I have a WISP connection 6mbps, netflix hd, youtube hd, gaming maybe it will work but mine has way to much jitter. We stream everything and working from home now so i hit the 400GB cap before month end and then need to use it at 3mbps

haroldj

Everyone on this forum are complaining about rain speeds, with the speeds you guys are getting you should not complain, on a good day I sometime get like 7mbps, but most of the time it is around 1mbps, netflix does stream but I am getting very poor picture, "My family cinema", does not want to connect at all.

James946

Everyone on this forum are complaining about rain speeds, with the speeds you guys are getting you should not complain, on a good day I sometime get like 7mbps, but most of the time it is around 1mbps, netflix does stream but I am getting very poor picture, "My family cinema", does not want to connect at all.
My rain connection is faster during the day then it is at night. During the day I get 3-4mbps and at 11 at night I get sub 1mbps

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Hi haroldj,

Please drop us a DM with the email address linked to your rain account so that we can further investigate your query?

Dretastic06

Hi haroldj,

Please drop us a DM with the email address linked to your rain account so that we can further investigate your query?
yo in delft and belhar depending where i am, im getting a solid 0,7mbps during the day and a blazing 1,8 between peak. Can you please release the 2600mz on our towers so those who use it on routers can actually work, instead of those sitting and downloading god knows what on their phones the entire day. PS i used to get easily above 30-40mbps a year ago!

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
yo in delft and belhar depending where i am, im getting a solid 0,7mbps during the day and a blazing 1,8 between peak. Can you please release the 2600mz on our towers so those who use it on routers can actually work, instead of those sitting and downloading god knows what on their phones the entire day. PS i used to get easily above 30-40mbps a year ago!
Hi Dretastic06,

haroldj

Hi haroldj,

The previous month I was getting 0.7mbps during off-peak hours and during peak hours I was getting 14 +mbps, but when I complained to rain they changed my tower and now I am getting around 1mbps for 24 hours, I think I will stick with adsl for now until you bring the 5G to Durban. I have requested for a cancellation of my sim. I will send you my email address, maybe yo can change things around before 1st June.

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
Just got my sim and eRica'd. Testing Rain again to see how it goes as when I cancelled about a year ago it was completely useless. The initial Rain experience was good with an average speed of about 10Mbps...which is good enough.

But as the months progressed it became increasinly worse to the point it was unusable. My concern is that I pop it in and find it is great again, cancel the Telkom Uncapped LTE (month to month still), then find it deteriorate again. Without Fibre as an option, we need an uncapped LTE option that works

Dretastic06

Just got my sim and eRica'd. Testing Rain again to see how it goes as when I cancelled about a year ago it was completely useless. The initial Rain experience was good with an average speed of about 10Mbps...which is good enough.

But as the months progressed it became increasinly worse to the point it was unusable. My concern is that I pop it in and find it is great again, cancel the Telkom Uncapped LTE (month to month still), then find it deteriorate again. Without Fibre as an option, we need an uncapped LTE option that works
only other option is mtn uncapped lte but 3k pm

Shahil

I've had a good experience so far with rain even though it maxes out at 2 or 3 bars of signal. Use it exclusively in my work laptop (it's in the SIM card slot) and it's been great for Zoom/Teams calls even at this low signal. I expected WAY more dropped calls but it seems robust enough to manage these. With most streaming services throttling bandwidth anyway, we have become used to the lower quality video during this time and it's not something that's phased me either. It's been a great solution for WFH.

If only they had a bundled solution (with the router included) so I could get the unlimited option for my parents. Getting a router separately is such a mission especially if some routers will not be compatible as plug and play options which I would need for my folks.