New application to split local and international traffic - now on Telkom Router

dawbomb

Yes, my router accepts both methods: subnet masks or CIDR format.

I think you can assume that every single router would accept it in subnet mask form.
Maybe I'll leave the second one up, so that if a router doesn't support subnet masks then there is a second option. But try subnets first :)

Site update in progress :cool:

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Maybe I'll leave the second one up, so that if a router doesn't support subnet masks then there is a second option. But try subnets first :)

Site update in progress :cool:
You might want to add Gconnect and Afrihost prepaid, both of which are significantly cheaper than Axxess and WebAfrica.

You should also specify which backbone IS, SAIX, etc on the account, but especially on local only accounts where the quality of the available new servers are worlds apart.

dawbomb

You might want to add Gconnect and Afrihost prepaid, both of which are significantly cheaper than Axxess and WebAfrica.

You should also specify which backbone IS, SAIX, etc on the account, but especially on local only accounts where the quality of the available new servers are worlds apart.
Thanks, I've updated the page on the cheapest ADSL available, I will sort out who uses which backbones shortly...

Positively Negative

Expert Member
hey guys im a bit of a noob but ive been getting around local pretty well. the only issue is that it goes through the INT bandwidth first right?

Will this app work on a Billion 800vgt router? if not can someone tell me if there is a thread for a router like mine or if someone can advise please.

dawbomb

hey guys im a bit of a noob but ive been getting around local pretty well. the only issue is that it goes through the INT bandwidth first right?

Will this app work on a Billion 800vgt router? if not can someone tell me if there is a thread for a router like mine or if someone can advise please.
For those of us on Do Boadband, yeah, if you want to get to the "free" local usage, then you have to finish your international cap first. However, you can get local accounts for less then R10 per gig, see http://sites.google.com/site/localrouter/cheapest-adsl-available for the cheapest options. Then you can have two ADSL accounts: one for international, one for local. You can then either chop and change between the two connections, or run something like Local Router...

Local Router will definately run on your the Billion 800VGT router. I know this because I have studied the instruction manual :D. Simply because I'm probably going to get one, and whats the point in getting a router that doesnt support a script which I wrote a good deal of! The generic version of Local Router will run on it just fine.

Download the user manual for your router from here. If you need any help with setting it up, I'm sure I can work it out from the manual.

Unfortunately I haven't found time to write a script for Windows yet, but I will get there...

Positively Negative

Expert Member
Ok thanks man - that kinda sucks because my mom is annoyed that we getting capped so early in the month :(

What is the cheapest Telkom account i can buy that gives free local aswell? i am thinking of just getting my own Telkom account.

Pada

Executive Member
I'm not sure if dawbomb wants everyone to be asking questions with regards to ISP accounts in this thread though. There are enough other threads where this kind of thing is being discussed.

@PN: I would rather go for a local only package like the 10GB (IS) for R70 or 30GB for R130, and use that in combination with your existing Telkom Do broadband package.

The cheapest Telkom account is the Do broadband Level 1 for R199, which includes the ADSL line rental for the 384kbps line, but excludes Telephone line rental AFAIK.
do level 1 is tailor made for the entry level broadband customer, providing you with Fast DSL (up to 384kbps based on broadband technology) accompanied by 1 000 Megabytes (1GB) worth of data. Included is 10,000 Megabytes (10GB) of local only usage.
I doubt that the Telkom packages are meant to be used on a existing ADSL line where you're already paying the ADSL line rent...

dawbomb

Ok thanks man - that kinda sucks because my mom is annoyed that we getting capped so early in the month :(

What is the cheapest Telkom account i can buy that gives free local aswell? i am thinking of just getting my own Telkom account.
I have the same problem with my 'rents...

The issue with a telkom account with the free local bandwidth is that you have to FINISH your international usage before you can use any local usage, UNLESS you have two different ADSL accounts.

I'm not sure if dawbomb wants everyone to be asking questions with regards to ISP accounts in this thread though. There are enough other threads where this kind of thing is being discussed.
Whatever, its a little off topic, but not a problem at all :) As long as it doesn't take over the thread!

@PN: I would rather go for a local only package like the 10GB (IS) for R70 or 30GB for R130, and use that in combination with your existing Telkom Do broadband package.
Thats exactly what I do. Recently I've been using a Webafrica 200GB free local only trial, but thats about done... My other local account is axxess, just because when I got it, it was the cheapest local only around. The best part of prepaid adsl is that it doesn't expire at the end of the month if you don't use all of it.

dawbomb

There is a Windows beta version available now :) Go and test it! :)

And please try improve it! Its functional, but quite honestly, it sucks.

Pada

Executive Member
dawbomb, nice idea.

Just one thing: please create files with CRLF instead for the Windows users, otherwise the text documents are unreadable in Windows.
I would also skip the whole SAVE as part, and simply keep the file named: localrouter-win.txt
Why not bundle a batchfile in the same directory, that simply runs: TST10.exe /r:localrouter-win.txt

I can try and code a batchfile that will convert the localroutes.txt downloaded from developers.locality.co.za and create a localrouter-win.txt file from it.

dawbomb

Just one thing: please create files with CRLF instead for the Windows users, otherwise the text documents are unreadable in Windows.
I realised that literally about 5 minutes after I uploaded the files... Thanks! Its fixed now.

I would also skip the whole SAVE as part, and simply keep the file named: localrouter-win.txt
Why not bundle a batchfile in the same directory, that simply runs: TST10.exe /r:localrouter-win.txt
Not a bad idea! I'll do that now quickly.

I can try and code a batchfile that will convert the localroutes.txt downloaded from developers.locality.co.za and create a localrouter-win.txt file from it.
Thanks, that'll be fantastic!

WatchMan

Supported Router

Hey, thanks for the hard work.
Will the Mega200VWR Telkom router work with you script, as I don't see it in the downloads section of the LocalRouter website.

Thanks.

Pada

Executive Member
WatchMan, you're welcome to try it and report back if it worked :)

dawbomb created a generic script that should work on most routers...

wikus

Your guide on your website doesn't indicate that windows users should enable telnet for the script to work

Rainy

Thats exactly what I do. Recently I've been using a Webafrica 200GB free local only trial, but thats about done... My other local account is axxess, just because when I got it, it was the cheapest local only around. The best part of prepaid adsl is that it doesn't expire at the end of the month if you don't use all of it.

hmmm i got a prepaid Openweb acc, and they told me it will expire at the end of the month

dawbomb

Hi all,
sorry about taking so long to reply, I've been on the beach for the past 2 weeks, tough life...

Hey, thanks for the hard work.
Will the Mega200VWR Telkom router work with you script, as I don't see it in the downloads section of the LocalRouter website.
It should work... Unfortunately I haven't got a pile of routers to try it on, so I don't know unless people give it a try :) It definitely won't damage your router, I guarantee it. The worst that can happen is that you have to restart your router.

WatchMan, you're welcome to try it and report back if it worked :)
To everyone: If it works on your router, please let me know so that I can add it to the list of supported routers:)

Your guide on your website doesn't indicate that windows users should enable telnet for the script to work
The site is a mess at the moment, I kinda added that bit the night before I went away. I'm going to sort that site out properly in the very near future, ideally early next week. Sorry!

hmmm i got a prepaid Openweb acc, and they told me it will expire at the end of the month
My bad! Most of them dont seem to expire...

Pada

Executive Member
I think all OpenWeb's accounts expire at the end of the month. I know that if you get like a 1GB Unshaped prepaid account from Axxess that it doesn't expire at the end of the month. So you have to read carefully what each ADSL account entails.

Suckerlove78

Does someone know if this will work with the Billion Bipac 7300G? If I telnet to my router and log in, it seems that the only commands supported is a menu-like system, "sys", "lan" and "wan"... Also, how do you configure two PPP (Multi ISP) accounts on this router? Your help would be much appreciated.

Anyways, for those interested, here is my version of the "get routes" script adapted to work on pfSense/FreeBSD and probably M0n0wall if you can make SSH/terminal work: You need to "pkg_add -r -v wget expect" first to add the wget and expect packages:

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

#In the line below, replace <password> with your router login password:
passwd="<password>"

#If your router's local interface is not ppp1, adjust the following line accordingly
if="ppp1"

WORKDIR="."
DATE=`date`

cd $WORKDIR

# Backup existing localroutes.dat file
if [ -f $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat ]; then
   mv -f $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat.bak
fi

# Download list of new local routes
wget "http://developers.locality.co.za/routes-rs.txt" -O $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat

# If your router use CIDR formated routes, uncomment 
# the following line and comment the routes-rs.txt download
# wget "http://developers.locality.co.za/routes.txt" -O $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat

# Make sure download file exists
# If file does not exist restore from backup
if [ ! -s $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat ]; then
   /usr/bin/logger -t ROUTESET "Local routes download failed. Using backup..."
   cp -f $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat.bak $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat
else
#Backup newly downloaded localroutes.dat file
  cp $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat $WORKDIR/localroutes.dat.bak
  /usr/bin/logger -t ROUTESET "localroutes.dat successfully created."
fi

# Create setlocalroutes.sh script to populate
# newly downloaded Local routes in DSL router
modify()
{
	while read i s
	do
		if [ "$i" != "#" ]; then
			echo send \"route add -net `echo $i | sed 's/,/ netmask /'` $if \\\\r\" >> setlocalroutes.sh
			echo expect \"# \" >> setlocalroutes.sh
		fi
	done < localroutes.dat
}

echo "#!/usr/local/bin/expect --" > setlocalroutes.sh

cat >> setlocalroutes.sh << EOF

spawn telnet
expect "telnet>"
send "open $host\r"
expect "ogin: "
send "$user\r"
expect "word: "
send "$passwd\r"
EOF

modify

cat >> setlocalroutes.sh << EOF
send "exit\r"
send "!\r"
expect "$ "
EOF

# Make localrouter.sh executable
chmod a+x setlocalroutes.sh

# Populate new Local Routes in DSL router
./setlocalroutes.sh

#Clean up
rm -f $WORKDIR/setlocalroutes.sh

Last edited:

dawbomb

Thanks!

Has anyone worked out how to get the script running properly in windows?