New application to split local and international traffic - now on Telkom Router

Saber

Merry Christmas chaps :)

When following the diagnostic instructions on the "Supported Routers" page, I get the following feedback in telnet:

Input: route add -net 41.0.0.0 netmask 255.224.0.0 ppp0
Output: route: SIOC[ADD|DEL]RT: No such device

Input: route add -net 41.0.0.0 ppp0
Output: route: SIOC[ADD|DEL]RT: Invalid argument

ADSL Router: D-Link 2500U

Any idea what I should be doing?

dawbomb

Merry Christmas chaps :)

When following the diagnostic instructions on the "Supported Routers" page, I get the following feedback in telnet:

Input: route add -net 41.0.0.0 netmask 255.224.0.0 ppp0
Output: route: SIOC[ADD|DEL]RT: No such device

Input: route add -net 41.0.0.0 ppp0
Output: route: SIOC[ADD|DEL]RT: Invalid argument

ADSL Router: D-Link 2500U

Any idea what I should be doing?
Shot, Merry Christmas to you too!

My guess is that the interface ppp0 doesn't exist. I could be wrong, but thats what I'd go for first.

Log into telnet (do everything that you did above, up to and excluding the route add line), and type
Code:
ifconfig
This will give you a list of interfaces. For examle, on my Netgear router, I have br0, eth0, lo, nas0, ppp0, wlan0.

List those interfaces here, and we'll see if that is the problem...

Saber

aah, thanks dawbomb.

Amongst other things,
Code:
ifconfig
gave me "ppp_8_35_1"
Code:
route add -net 41.0.0.0 netmask 255.224.0.0 ppp_8_35_1
gives me the correct blank line response so I'll edit the local router txt file appropriately and give it a whirl :)

dawbomb

Hey saber, did you come right?

Local Router now has a mac version too! Please let me know how that goes, I don't have a mac, so I wasn't the one who wrote it, but I have been told that it works!

I've also finally managed to get it working PROPERLY on a Telkom Mega 105WR (I don't have one, had to borrow one from a friend). The problem was that it kept doing something stupid with its DNS lookups. Tell it to use OpenDNS and its happy.

Pada

Executive Member
dawbomb, do you otherwise get redirected to the local only account's landing page if you don't use OpenDNS' DNS servers?

dawbomb

dawbomb, do you otherwise get redirected to the local only account's landing page if you don't use OpenDNS' DNS servers?
To be completely honest I have absolutely no idea what the hell the stupid thing is doing. After adding a second account and restarting the router, I couldn't access any websites whatsoever. The routing table was fine, and skype reconnected, so it must be doing something right. But no websites. If you change to OpenDNS then it works happily!

Something I've just thought of, it could be a problem with the Telkom DNS servers, but its weird that it only happens on that router, and not the other routers I've tried out on the same DSL account...

If you are thinking of buying a Telkom router... Don't.

dawbomb

Has anyone managed to get Local Router running on any of the following routers? If so, how'd you do it? Lots of people have them (largely because Telkom distributes them), so I would like to have them supported if possible.

• Billion 400G
  • Billion 800VGT
  • Siemens Gigaset 762 SX
  • Telkom Mega 200WR

dawbomb

Ooooh now this is interesting...

On my netgear router, suddenly I am getting the same issue as with the telkom router: I cant access any sites unless I set it up to use OpenDNS. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Saber

Hey saber, did you come right?
The telnet script seems to run fine after my modifications. It adds all those routes, then the telnet window closes.

How do I know if it's working as specified?

Thanks again, if this works, it will suite me much better than routesentry (dual boot with ubuntu and you have linux scripts too :) )

Saber

Ha ha, it works! Thanks for the tip Pada.

And thanks for your work dawbomb, confirmed working with D-Link 2500U (with minor modifications to the script .txt file).

Saber

I don't know if I did not edit the .txt file correctly but the script appears to be ineffective for me.

On 12/01/10 I used up more than half of my international account while downloading local content.

Now when trying to access sites I KNOW are local (e.g. mybroadband), I get my international accounts capped page.

This seems to be strong indication that although I was getting slightly different IP Addresses per Pada's tip, this routing script is not working -- at least not for me.

Naturally, this is a big disappointment. Any ideas where the problem may lie?

UPDATE:

Script now appears to work beautifully in Windows

Last edited:

Pada

Executive Member
It could be that it didn't add all the local routes. There should be about 600 routes.

If the 2500U has a linux type console interface, you can type in 'route -n' to get the list of routes. You're welcome to email me all of those routes and I'll try to figure out why yours isn't routing correctly.

Pada

Executive Member
OK, I've attempted to dial multiple accounts on a D-Link 2640U and I was unsuccessful. The problem is that you cannot setup 2 PPPoE accounts at the same time, it overwrites the first one's username & password with some weird ones.
It does have 'route show', 'ifconfig', 'wan config' and 'ppp config' commands, but I was still unable to setup multiple PPPoE accounts :(

Pada

Executive Member
I'm now playing around on my friend's D-Link DSL-2500U-BRU-D with firmware version 1.10.
It doesn't even have port forwarding or dynamic DNS! But you can still do port forwarding via the Telnet interface by using normal iptables commands :)

I've now gone and downloaded the latest firmware from http://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/ADSL/
The new firmware supports port forwarding (Virtual Servers), Dynamic DNS, SNMP and all the stuff that the router could previously do! I must say that after the firmware upgrade the router is impressing me, eventhough it doesn't have wireless!

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Hi all,

I'm currently using RouteSentry and it always did what I needed it to do.

However, I'd now like to connect my iPhone via Wifi to the router. Will local router's script solve my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Pada

Executive Member
PhreakBoy, yes, running the traffic splitting scripts on the router would allow you to do traffic splitting for your iPhone too.
Alternatively, you could disable DHCP on your router and enable Internet Connection Sharing on your PC, by sharing the 2nd PPPoE connection (with the 1st being dialed by the router).
For both of the solutions, you need a fairly decent router.... One that can at least be put into half-bridge mode.
For the splitting script to work on the router, you need a router that can dial multiple PPPoE connections.

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Thank you for the quick response.

I'm using a Mega 100WR. Not completely following your post above, so let me please confirm what I'm intepreting.

You are saying that I won't be able to use RouteSentry anymore.

You are saying that if I run the traffic splitting scripts, I won't need to configure anything else on my pc. The iPhone would connect normally via Wifi and the router would split traffic from both the pc and the iPhone (effectively from any device connecting through it).

Am I correct?

Pada

Executive Member
You are saying that I won't be able to use RouteSentry anymore.
No, you could still use RouteSentry, but it would be pointless if you're already splitting the traffic with the script on the router.

You are saying that if I run the traffic splitting scripts, I won't need to configure anything else on my pc. The iPhone would connect normally via Wifi and the router would split traffic from both the pc and the iPhone (effectively from any device connecting through it).

Am I correct?
Yes, this is correct. You would leave all your IP settings on automatically detect on the PC & iPhone, and the router would automatically split the traffic.
The 100WR is supported - see the supported list: http://sites.google.com/site/localrouter/routers

Dawbomb, could you add the D-Link DSL 2500U to the supported list of routers please?

Last edited:

Kalvaer

Expert Member
I tried to install the App yesterday on win 7 64 Bit (latest release). Granted I never spent much time looking at it, as my ADSL line is up and down while I wait for Telkom to fix the line, but when ever I tried to use it to connect it would tell me that my username/password was incorrect. Yet when I connected manually, it worked perfect.

Once I had one connection set manually, and then tried another, The program would crash?