New application to split local and international traffic - now on Telkom Router

dawbomb

It could be that it didn't add all the local routes. There should be about 600 routes.

If the 2500U has a linux type console interface, you can type in 'route -n' to get the list of routes. You're welcome to email me all of those routes and I'll try to figure out why yours isn't routing correctly.
The windows script still lacks the ablitiy to download a list of routes, if anyone can help with this, please do so :) I am clueless with windows scripting...

I have updated the list of routes on the website.

Dawbomb, could you add the D-Link DSL 2500U to the supported list of routers please?
Done.

I tried to install the App yesterday on win 7 64 Bit (latest release). Granted I never spent much time looking at it, as my ADSL line is up and down while I wait for Telkom to fix the line, but when ever I tried to use it to connect it would tell me that my username/password was incorrect. Yet when I connected manually, it worked perfect.

Once I had one connection set manually, and then tried another, The program would crash?
Are we talking about Local Router or Route Sentry here? Local Router doesn't manage any connections at all, just the routing between them.

Pada

Executive Member
The windows script still lacks the ablitiy to download a list of routes, if anyone can help with this, please do so :) I am clueless with windows scripting...
You can get the wget for windows app and then simply use that to update the list.

Edit:
See http://developers.locality.co.za/splitting-routesentry for an example.

When using a new list, you would actually want to remove all the previous route entries before applying the new list. Disconnecting a PPPoE interface would remove all the old routes.

Last edited:

Kalvaer

Expert Member
Are we talking about Local Router or Route Sentry here? Local Router doesn't manage any connections at all, just the routing between them.
Blah... Excuse me being stupid. I was talking about Pada's Application. This morning when I logged in I was reading the new posts and should of checked more clearly where I typed :eek:

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Hi,

I have downloaded the localrouter-win.txt, but it seems to end abruptly:

send "route add -net 196.13.214.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 ppp1 \m"
wait "# "
send "route add -net 196.13.216.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 ppp1 \m"
wait "# "
send "route add -net 196.13.220.0 netmas
The last line is only half and I'm afraid that the lines that should have been further down might be neglected.

dawbomb

You can get the wget for windows app and then simply use that to update the list.

Edit:
See http://developers.locality.co.za/splitting-routesentry for an example.
Good plan, thanks :)

When using a new list, you would actually want to remove all the previous route entries before applying the new list. Disconnecting a PPPoE interface would remove all the old routes.
I think that most of us have connections dropped more often then we need to update the list :) But if your connection doesn't get dropped, instead of logging into the router and disconnecting it, you could just switch it off and back on...

Hi,

I have downloaded the localrouter-win.txt, but it seems to end abruptly:

The last line is only half and I'm afraid that the lines that should have been further down might be neglected.
Yeah that is a problem. I'll correct it just now... I'm in the wrong operating system at the moment. Sorry about that.

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
I was unable to test the program last night and probably won't be able to do it tonight either.

But this thread has gone quiet, any new developments?

Saber

Typo in scripts?

Both the linux and windows (18 Jan 09) scripts seem to give the command:

Code:
wait "ogin: "
I assume this is a typo?

UPDATE:
After correcting this possible typo and making the other changes necessary, the script appears to run fine. However, when comparing local and international IP's to see if the routing is working, I found that both point to my international account. After resetting my router and using the old script, routing is working again. I'll continue to use the old script for now.

Last edited:

Pada

Executive Member
Saber, dawbomb explicitly didn't use
Code:
wait "login: "
, due to it being case sensitive.
With the D-Link routers, you'll have to modify the name of the PPPoE interface from ppp0 or ppp1 to something like ppp_0_8_35_1 or ppp_0_8_35_2.

ironrod

Good plan, thanks :)

I think that most of us have connections dropped more often then we need to update the list :) But if your connection doesn't get dropped, instead of logging into the router and disconnecting it, you could just switch it off and back on...

Yeah that is a problem. I'll correct it just now... I'm in the wrong operating system at the moment. Sorry about that.
dawbomb, have you managed to get the script corrected? Is there an application or ?nix application/script we can use to convert any localroute.txt file to Windows one? Thanks very much for the Windows script, it works wonders, keep it up.

Porge

Has anyone got localrouter to work on a NetgearDG834GUv5 and Win 7? If so please tell me how?

Porge

Netgear DG834GUv5

The Netgear DG834GUv5 supports Static Routes. It also allows for a 2nd pppoe connection on the router. So it should be possible to split local/int traffic on the router. My big question is how would one do this?

Pada

Executive Member
Porge, go into the console with Telnet or Putty. Run 'route -h' & 'ifconfig -h' to see how the 'route add' is formatted and also how the network interface names looks like. eg. on the D-Link DSL2500U, the interface names are like 'ppp_0_8_35_1' & 'ppp_0_8_35_2' and you can add routes with the following format 'route add <IP address> netmask <subnet mask> gw <gateway> <interface name>'.
I can't remember if that is correct, but I'm pretty sure its like that.

Porge

Ok I got localrouter to work with the Netgear DG834GUv5. The network interface name for the pppoe Session 2 on the router was ppp8. Thanks Pada for the ifconfig advice. Now it would be great if you could save all the local routes on the router and not have to reset them each time if you turn the router off. It does allow you to add static routes and save these but I am not too sure how to do this. The localrouter-win.txt file has a lot of entries. You must be able to put in an address range as a static route and save it on the router. But this is where I get stumped and have no idea how to even begin.

ironrod

dawbomb, have you managed to get the script corrected? Is there an application or ?nix application/script we can use to convert any localroute.txt file to Windows one? Thanks very much for the Windows script, it works wonders, keep it up.
I have managed to figure out how to do the complete localroute script using Linux. Thanks very much for creating the necessary code for converting the file to a windows file.

Porge

I have been trying out all of the traffic splitting options. RouteSentry and LocalRouter worked perfectly. TrafficSplitter 6.5 also worked fine but I had problems with 6.6, 6.7 and 6.8.
I have also discovered
http://www.aalwyne.co.za/local_IP_range.shtml
Has anyone tried this solution and what are the pros and cons of it?

jeanres

Expert Member
I am working on a version for the Billion Routers (400G) will upload over the weekend

dawbomb

I really am getting bad at replying to posts... Sorry!

I understand that some of these have been answered already, but I will add my 10 cents worth anyway...

Typo in scripts?

Code:
wait "ogin: "
I assume this is a typo?
Nope. Some routers spit out "login", others "Login". This caters for both.

Has anyone gotten this to work on the Billion 400G?
Lots of people have been asking me this. So far, not as far as I know. I'm going to add this router, as well as the Siemens Gigaset SX762 and Billion BiPAC 7300MA to the list of not supported routers. If someone does manage to get the script running on these routers, please let me everyone here know! Thanks :)

Has anyone got localrouter to work on a NetgearDG834GUv5 and Win 7? If so please tell me how?
Yes please, thats what I'm using :) PPP8 and enabling telnet are the tricks. Use the "netgear" script on the website. I realise that my instructions on the setup page weren't very clear, I'll sort them out now :)

I am working on a version for the Billion Routers (400G) will upload over the weekend
You will be loved by many!

dawbomb

I have been trying out all of the traffic splitting options. RouteSentry and LocalRouter worked perfectly. TrafficSplitter 6.5 also worked fine but I had problems with 6.6, 6.7 and 6.8.
I have also discovered
http://www.aalwyne.co.za/local_IP_range.shtml
Has anyone tried this solution and what are the pros and cons of it?
As far as I can work out, this works very similar to Route Sentry. It will have to be run on every computer on the network independently.