New blood alcohol test means drunk drivers can be arrested immediately

Ivanr

Expert Member
Clearly the media and politicians have it wrong again !!!!!!!

In law there is a clear distinction between.

1) Driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotic drug with it's own sets of elements of the crime to be proven in court without this new machine.

2) Driving with the alcohol blood level exceeding 0.05g per 100ml, this is where this new device will be of use.

NB: Driving with blood alcohol levels over the legal limit does not mean you are drunk! The sets of elements of the crime must be present to prove - Driving under the influence of alcohol as the main charge with the blood alcohol level as the alternative charge. Conversely you do not require blood alcohol levels to prove the main charge.

So media get your facts correct please !!!

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
He said the fact that the test results are certifiable and signed by the drunk driver and two witnesses will be a big help to ensure successful drunk driving prosecutions.
How are they going to force someone to sign? Simple don't sign for this new farce and I doubt there will be independent witnesses.

“The length that the state has gone to ensure that the results are beyond question can ensure convictions of drunk drivers,” said Frost.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/draeger-breathalyzer-breath-test-convictions/

randburgred

New blood alcohol test means drunk drivers can be arrested immediately

Johannesburg Mayor Herman Mashaba recently launched the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department’s (JMPD’s) Evidential Breath Alcotest Machine (EBAT).

The EBAT gives a print out of the driver’s alcohol level after a test is conducted, which removes the need to conduct a physical blood test.
All well and good but until we have traffic courts there will bedelays after delays In addition there should be a unified system so that if awaiting trial in one area you see the defendants court records

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I like to see new innovative stuff such as this but it's in the hands of corrupt police officers. Although I couldn't care any less about what happens to the offenders, I don't want to see it misused by law enforcement for their personal gains.