New breathalyser means drunk drivers in South Africa can be arrested immediately

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
New breathalyser means drunk drivers in South Africa can be arrested immediately

The Department of Transport has begun rolling out a new breathalyser which can facilitate immediate arrests for drunk driving, according to a report in the Sunday Times.

The new breath-testing machine was first piloted in the Western Cape and was launched in Pietermaritzburg last week, with the next step being a national rollout of the technology.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Excellent news. Don't ****ing drink and drive - simple as that. There really is no excuse since you can have a designated driver or Uber.

ekske1

Executive Member

The Department of Transport has begun rolling out a new breathalyser which can facilitate immediate arrests for drunk driving, according to a report in the Sunday Times.

The new breath-testing machine was first piloted in the Western Cape and was launched in Pietermaritzburg last week, with the next step being a national rollout of the technology.

MyBB Repeat :thumbsup:

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...k-drivers-can-be-arrested-immediately.997458/

1555240752479.png

Service

This is a good step forward towards the right direction. At least with drunken driving, there will be proof that you are/were drunk.

I am however concerned about the 'absolute' power being given to the traffic officers. If the officer says I skipped a stop sign, whether I did or not I won't have the opportunity anymore to go and present my side of the story in court. Whatever s/he says goes. Besides the other potential gaps this stance has, it might also open a big gap for 'cool drink'.

Swa

Honorary Master
Only time before this is challenged and abolished again.

Currantly

Expert Member
[The AARTO bill] is expected to introduce a number of changes to South African road law, including:

• Failing to pay traffic fines can lead to a block on obtaining driving and vehicle licences.
  • Where documents previously had to be delivered by registered mail, authorities will now also be able to serve documents via email and to send reminders via WhatsApp and SMS.
  • The option for offenders to elect to appear in court to challenge the prosecution has been removed.
The bill also includes provision for a new demerit system, with 1-6 points allocated for offences. If an infringer has more than 12 points, it will result in the disqualification of their driving licence.

Cool, so when people lose their driving and/or vehicle licence they can just do what I would do...cancel my insurance & just continue to drive around...